Installing NTL cable usb modem...

lydian

Hello chaps.............

Right straight to the point. I'm a windows user hoping to migrate to 'Mandriva'. I', fairly compatent with that other OS, but an absolute newbie when it comes to Mandrake, when i say absolute i mean it!! :wall:

I dont understand the file storage structure of it all yet, but thats cos i haven't asked or tried. So i would love to get using the net with Mandrake, so i dont have to keep booting into windows to come here to get advice, then logging off, then logging onto 10.1 then trying etc etc etc etc etc.

I'm presently running NTL broadband 3Mbs with one of their 3510000 USB modems. I have an Intel Pro 100/s desktop adaptor which i'm not using, cos ntl drivers wont work etc, so i'm usin the USB ports.

So the simple question is, can i get on the net?

I did try setting up a new connection, but i kinda get confused. I'm on cable, so i choose that option, then it asks me to install a driver and gives me this huge list of what i can only assume are 'preinstalled' devices? None of these match my modem, so i just jumped in feet first and installed anything that said USB, ( i know it's a bit of a crap method!!)

I kinda got connected, but at an EXTREMELY slow speed, as in, slower than 28K dial up!! I must be connected, cos i also managed to chat to a mate using the messenger service!!

So any advice is well appreciated!!

Edited by lydian

Guest anon

Welcome to the board.

I don't have NTL but do have Telewest......but am not using the usb connection.

Setting up a cable modem using the cable modem option often causes problems.

Try removing your cable option set up, and then configure your internet set up using the Lan connection option.

Yes i know the Lan option doesn't make sense, but thats the correct connection for your cable modem.

I had a similar problem with a USB cable modem, solved by loading the 'usbnet' module. However I cant remember how (since I'm now at uni and getting online via LAN), I think this is the right approach, but does anyone know how to load it?