XMMS problem on Mandriva LE 2005

Guest fireedo

Guest fireedo

I just installed Mandriva LE 2005 on my PC and I like the performance.....but when I try to use XMMS I really surprised, the loading time is very very long about 40 second......what is going on?

and when XMMS show I try to play a mpeg file but the sound is horible although the video is fine.....

I try amarok but I feel there is a problem too.....

Is mandriva have a problem with the multimedia?

Can anybody help me please.....

thanx for any respons and help :)

p.s: I'm using creative extigy sound card

I installed the xine-win32 and codecs today on LE2005, and if I tried to play a wmv the screen went blank, and I couldn't get it to come back, although you could see it flash now and again.

Only option was turn off and on again (not clean I know, but I couldn't type anything or get any response from keyb or mouse).

Sounds like I'm not the only one with media problems!

2005 LE Official and xmms works for me. I have seen some problems reported with the default command for xmms in the menu or desktop icon being soundwrapper xmms and that did not work. Removing soundwrapper from this command or just using xmms as the command in console to start the program might work.

In xmms > Options > Preferences, the output plugin should probably be alsa, as the alsa driver is usually the default. You can check your driver by calling draksound from the root prompt. These things are configurable.

In the KDE Control Center (kcontrol), Sound, Sound System, I always set auto-suspend to 1 second and realtime priority might help. Selecting the audio device under Hardware to be your sound driver instead of auto-detect can improve performance and there is full-duplex to try.

I read that xmms is not being maintained and beep-media-player is considered its replacement.

I installed the xine-win32 and codecs today on LE2005, and if I tried to play a wmv the screen went blank, and I couldn't get it to come back, although you could see it flash now and again.

Only option was turn off and on again (not clean I know, but I couldn't type anything or get any response from keyb or mouse).

Sounds like I'm not the only one with media problems!

I just installed LE2005 yesterday and installed xine and the xine-win32 and codecs. I hadn't tried to play a .wmv yet, but after reading this post, decided to give it a try. Worked perfectly here.

zenarcher

There are problems with XMMS in many bleeding edge distros, including 2005 LE and Cooker. I guess the root is the old GTK libs used by XMMS, but since Beep does work fine, all one can wish is XMMS catching up wit the current development standards (a bit unlikely, as it develops at snail's pace).

Sorry to say that, as I was an XMMS diehard for years, but currently the app is completely outdated, and on the verge of becoming obsolete.

I've noticed the slow startup on XMMS, but I like the small footprint of the UI. I might give beep a try, and see what options I have there.

I also noticed that, unlike in 10.0, the menus and some other UI widgets look dreadful. The file selector has blue lines between the entries in the lists, the fonts are not anti-aliased at all, and some of the buttons are too small for the fonts they contain. My guess is that this is also something to do with the GTK libraries.

Strange. On my P4 2Ghz XMMS takes 1 sec' to load & start.

I did nothing special.

I have a SB 7.1 and it just works fine.

I hope you will resolve your problem.

I tried BMP but the EQ sucks (IMHO). It is a pity. For me it's XMMS 2 (GTK2) but there is still a little bit work to do (this EQ really sucks!).

I used AmaroK for a long time and I really love it.

But for an every day usage, XMMS takes less resources (CPU & MEM).

Then I use AmoroK from time to time now.

Good luck.

Just built BMP 0.9.7 from source (repeat after me: "Remember to install those -devel packages" "Remember to install...")

Very nice. Starts in about 1.5s, default skin is nice and just as small as XMMS, plays OGG and MP3 out of the box. I think I'll stick with this one for a while. Thanks, rolf.