really silly question? Where's the browser?

leebrendalee

I installed mandrake a few months ago. couldn't get the touchpad to work..and since I've now solved that problem..(VERY EASY)....i WANT to give mandrake another go..

I can't find the browser....???????????

I have to log out of windows to find it...

also, can I install windows programs on here?

Guest anon

Are you saying that if you go to menu>>>>>>>internet>>>>>web browsers, that nothing is there? not even Konqueror? If true then you had a bad install.

btw, tto install firefox as sugested above, the command is:

urpmi firefox

not rpm firefox

Are you saying that if you go to menu>>>>>>>internet>>>>>web browsers,  that nothing is there? not even Konqueror? If true then you had a bad install.

if you're using kde .......

(yes, not everybody)

btw, tto install firefox as sugested above, the command is:

urpmi firefox

not rpm firefox

if you well configured urpmi .......

(mmh, that would be fine)

but indeed, there is an error; it is: rpm -iv firefox

cheers.

Edited by theo

Guest anon

As leebrendalee has only recently installed Mandriva, its a reasonable guess that the default setup was installed.....KDE

You don't need to configure urpmi for the basic apps that come with the CDs.

although no-one hit the command on the head yet, it's

urpmi mozilla-firefox

rpm -iv firefox won't do a whole crapload of good unless you happen to be sitting in the same directory as an rpm package named 'firefox', which is not incredibly likely ;)

but yes, any normal MDV installation will put a browser in the start menu, if there ain't one there, it's an odd install.

Found this topic, and it kinda relates to my next question, and might help leebrendalee.....

I've got firefox linux on a cd, so i copied it to a file on my hard drive, location being

file:/home/andy/tmp

So simple i think really how do i install it?

I have an icon with 'firefox-1.0.4.installer.tar.gz' written underneath. (god i'm so used to windows....it's a pain in the arse!!)

When i click on that i get a blue folder which is called 'firefox installer'

When i click on that there's various files:

config.ini

firefox installer

firefox installer-bin

header.png

install.ini

license.txt

watermark.png

The only one from the list above that gives anything like a reaction i expected is the installer-bin file, which says

the file TAR:/HOME/ANDY/TMP/FIREFOX-1.0.4.INSTALLER.TAR.GZ/FIREFOX-INSTALLER/FIREEFOX-INSTALLER-BIN is an executable program. For safety it will not be started.

and one folder called xpi.

Most of the files ask me if i want to open them with 'KWrite'

Simple question......i think.

Again i apologise for my windows orientated approach!!

Ta!

OO OOO i did it!! But it was more of a happy accident really!!

I right clicked on the file and extract here, it said file is read only, then another box appeared with a different looking 'firefox installer' icon i clicked on that and away it went......................................???

So next question.......how do i get a desk top icon??

Thanks for your time guys.

If your using kde, right click on your desktop in a blank area and from the drop down menu choose "Create New>File>Link to Application". A window will come up with three tabs, General, Permissions and Application. In the General tab, type in the name you want to appear under the icon(presumably firefox) and click on the gear picture in the upper right and choose the icon you want. There should be one for firefox. Then click on the Application tab and click the Browse button. Navigate to the directory where you have firefox installed and click on the "firefox" file then click "OK" to close the file dialog box then click "OK" again. Your firefox icon will be on your desktop and should work.