No sound under kscd but yes under amarok

fahd

Really it is very odd to hear your audio cd under amarok, but there is not sound at all under kscd. How can I tell the system to play audio-cd with amarok as soon as I insert the audio cd. I tried to achieve this using KCONTROL. But the system is still assigning KSCD to play audio cd. Mandrivalinux 10.2 is the system.

Thanks a lot.

Fahd

semi-easy one.

Amorak reads the CD over the ribon cable, as data, but kscd reads it windows95 style, i.e. it tells the cd rom to play the CD over the litle audio cable that connects the CDrom drive to the sound card.

To do this, you need 2 things.

1. An audio cable connecting your

CDrom to your sound card

2. kscd needs to be set to use th right device. It should be /dec/cdrom if everything is default, or you could use the ide address, like /dev/hdb or whatever your's turns out to be.

Or you can just change kscd to do digital audio extraction, it's an option in kscd's preferences. Your average CD-ROM drive has an extremely crappy 1-bit DAC, which is not going to do your sound quality any favours. Digital extraction sounds substantially better, on decent equipment (with crappy speakers you can't tell the difference). Finally, to change the default app if you still want to do that, run gnome-volume-properties and change it in there.