ppp0 - cannot bring up interface [solved]

griptypethyne

I am runing MDK10.1.

I successfully installed an ethernet card and was able to talk to the setup page on my new adsl modem. The adsl link is not yet connected so that is as far as I could go, but that is not the reason for my post. I could also run kppp and connect to the internet.

While experimenting I seem to have done some damage to my system (-;

When I boot, linux hangs at "Bringing up interface ppp0". If I do an interactive boot and say no to ppp0 the system seems to load normally. I can then use kppp to access the internet. I can no longer access the adsl modem.

ifconfig ppp0 give "Device not found"

If I go into MCC ppp0 is listed as a device. If I try and change settings (eg turn off load at boot) it does not save the settings and sometimes hangs (I really like ctrl-alt-esc (-; ).

I went into MCC and reloaded the ppp packages and dhcp but that has not solved the problem.

Any suggestions please?

This seems to be another case where I have posted the question too soon and then discovered the answer. iI will redeem myself by posting what I have discovered as, IMHO, it is not obvious to someone whose only experience of networking is kppp :D

While playing around with MCC -> Manage Connections I must have set ppp0 to load on boot. This seemed obvious, after all, dial up connections use ppp. The problem is that ppp0 needs a network connection, so the system hangs at boot. The solution was to delete ppp0 and create a new one, making sure that Load on Boot was not checked and I had selected automatic settings.

Now if I want to use dial up I can run kppp and if I want to use the ethernet connection I can enter ifgonfig eth0 up, can't I? Unfortunately nothing in Linux is quite that simple.

Using ifconfig I confirmed that kppp automatically starts ppp0 . I also confirmed that when kppp is closed ppp0 is also closed. I then ran ifconfig eth0 up and when I ran ifconfig eth0 was up. So far so good.

The problem was that when I opened Firefox and loaded a page I receive a "Cannot Make Connection" message. Eventually I discovered that the correct command is ifconfig eth0 promisc. Now I can switch between dial up and ethernet with ease.

I also discovered that if I go to MCC -> Monitor Connections and click on Start ADSL I can access eth0.

I now have another probelem but will start a new thread.