Disk Space

Guest cas

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie (surprise) and am using LE 2005... The MCC Software Packages Installation program says that I have only 565 mb of free disk space. In reality, and the MCC partition manager confirms, I have 73 gb of free space on the "journalised FS: ext3" partition. How do I fix this?

Thanks, in advance, for your time...

cas

Disk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *           1         140     1124518+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb2             141        9729    77023642+   5  Extended
/dev/hdb5             141        9729    77023611   83  Linux

it looks like your partitions are not set correctly.

i take it you are trying to dual boot with good old windows?

on the second drive (hdb) you would need at least these (i am assuming you are a home user wanting to dual boot for home use).

i would set all these partitions to a journalised format except swap (which is its own format)

and the optional winshare (which must be fat32 for windows to see).

1st partition root (/) (i set it at about 1gb but it doesn't have to be that big).

2nd partition (swap) size depends on ram, i set mine to double the amount of ram i have, and it works fine for me. 512mb ram = 1gb swap (this is the way i do it, there are other ways of working it out).

3rd partition /usr (i like to make /user quite large at about 12gb) (it appears to be where all the programs are stored).

4th partition /home (where all you're personal files are stored)

( as big as you like even the rest of the drive).

there is one other partition you may like to consider that is a winshare partition.

i like to have this, as it makes it easier to access certain files from both operating systems eg: mp3s video clips etc etc

size is up to you.

once the partitions are setup and the system is installed just make sure the bootloader is installed in the mbr of the drive, and thats it, when all is done you should have a choice at boot, windows or linux.

this should get you started, and as time goes by, you will find there are as many ways to set partitions for linux as there are stars in the sky (depends what you want linux to be: server, workstation, cluster,

laptop etc etc)

i hope this is helpful

regards

reb

Hello reb2.

I would like to make a suggestion or two here.

Firstly you should make .... / .. about 6Gb and forget about the /usr partition .

Even though you are correct when you say that Mandriva stores most of the applications there, Mandriva makes a root directory by that title anyway. When you are doing a reinstall it is not worthwhile saving those applications because they will not necessarily work well with other software installed in the reinstall. Instead of saving yourself work, you will be making difficult and unnecessary work for yourself and have a very unstable OS as well.

If you are a Linux Guru, you may probably be able to fix those problems you made for yourself. If you are a newbie you will probably never fix the problems.

I have found 6Gbs to be plenty for root .... / ..... Even after a big install you will still have about 1.5Gbs spare.

Home for a single users only needs about 5 or 6Gbs.

Create a General Use partition for most of the rest of the disk in which you can store your music, photos and graphics and data. But leave enough for a fat32 partition of about 3GBs to swap between your Windows and your Mandriva.

About the swap space size. The 2 x your fixed memory guide figure was derived from the days when memory was small and extremely expensive. With anything more than approx 500mbs of fixed memory, you only need about 500mbs of swap at the maximum. A lot of users actually don't have any swap space. With memory more than 512Mbs, the swap space is hardly ever used.

/ 6Gbs

swap 500mbs

/home 6Gbs

/General Use (or name of your choice) XXGbs

/exchange (or name of your choice) vfat32 3Gbs

When you do reinstalls, only root .../ .. needs to be reformatted.

This is all you need.

Cheers. John

in reply to both cas and aussie john,

first of all to cas, there is an option to "auto allocate" in the partitioning section of the install routine.

just look for custom partitioning and then make sure you have the hdb tab (in your case) displayed,

you will have to delete the linux partitions you already have and then hit auto allocate!

(this won't give you the winshare option though, but that is only an option anyway).

and to aussie john,

thanks for the tip!

i am definately not a linux guru at all lol.

i have just found, that the way i set out works ok for me so far.

but i am alway's ready to listen to those who... 1, know more than me (nearly everyone lol),

and 2, have different ways of doing things.

although i have played with linux for a couple of years now and mandrake since 7.2, it has been just looking at it and trying to muddle through (usually just everything left at defaults and poking around lol).

but now i have taken the plunge (april this year) and there is no microsoft at all on my machine whoopee).

now i am really trying to learn for the first time how to configure everything from the ground up.

i know i wish i had started years ago but then linux was just a plaything to me,........................ but now its serious!

thanks again

regards

reb

Edited by reb2

Shouldn't the installer have set up all these partitions for me in the first place?

Well, anyway, thank you both for your help!

the default for the installer has always been to create;

/

/home

swap

so, unless that has changed....????

maybe it detected a prob with the hd like the software installer did and freaked? :lol2: I d/k. From my past experience if any prob is detected it will not format, which is how it should be.

all I ever use is

/

swap

so /home is in /

but that's because all my stuff is on another linux partition and shared with other distros with symlinks. User preferences can be a prob in major upgrades so I do not worry about those in /home. I'd rather reset my preferences after a new install or major upgrade so that I know any of the probs I have are not related to old preferences. Headache saver.