installing nvidia drivers [solved]

largegroh

Reb2, edit /etc/modprobe.preload and add a line that only says nvidia. Reboot or wait for next time and you will get into regular graphic startup.

specifically, mine looks like

# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.

#

# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are

# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with

# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY

# for old kernel use /etc/modules

cx8800

nvidia-agp

nvidia

(the cx880 is my tv card - you won't have that line unless you have a tv card with a cx88x chip)

Reb2, edit /etc/modprobe.preload and add a line that only says nvidia. Reboot or wait for next time and you will get into regular graphic startup.

well it worked i now have graphical boot straight into kde, but now i've lost the shutdown options when logging out of kde roflmao, just got login and password displayed....... no shutdown or reboot options never mind i'll get there.

it was all fine untill i installed the nvidia 7174 driver roflmao (i changed nothing else!!!)

now it seems i can either have a shutdown option or i can have a graphical boot straight into kde but not both!!! i am wondering if this is because its the download (freebie) version of 2005 LE?

nah thats just paranoid roflmao

excellent stuff cheers polemicz and kristi :beer::beer::beer::beer:

regards

reb

Edited by reb2

well it worked i now have graphical boot straight into kde, but now i've lost the shutdown options when logging out of kde roflmao, just got login and password displayed....... no shutdown or reboot options never mind i'll get there.

I auto logon to user so I don't see anything while logging on till it gets to my desktop. Loging out I hit menu, click logout and get a little box with the cute mandrake the dragon, and the choices

1. End current session

2. Turn off computer.

3. Restart computer.

4.cancel

in a root logon, take a look at Meun,System,Configure,Configure your desktop,System,Login manager and see if things are to your liking there.

In 2006 Mandriva is removing most kdm or whatever it is so without mods, you will get less selection, but probably a safer system.

it was all fine untill i installed the nvidia 7174 driver roflmao (i changed nothing else!!!)

yeah, it's probably all Nvidia's fault!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

now it seems i can either have a shutdown option or i can have a graphical boot straight into kde but not both!!!
see - linux!!! choices!!! :cheesy:

i am wondering if this is because its the download (freebie) version of 2005 LE?
- nah - same thing . If you pay I think you get some extras. dunno.
nah thats just paranoid roflmao
just cause you're paranoid does mean they really aren't to get you!!! heeheeheehee :cheesy:

excellent stuff cheers polemicz and kristi :beer::beer::beer::beer:

regards

reb

yep - beers or rootbeers or hot chocolate all around!!! :D

Kristi

Edited by kristi

hello all. got back from vegas last night. figured since i had such bad luck there i was due for some good luck here. lol redid kristi's instructions from scratch and walla!!! all went as she described except for the part :

edit: took out to clear up typo

when I rebooted i got all the normal stuff and a NVIDIA splash screen and everything came up/ If I was not supposed to enter the initdefault like that, please tell me quick. otherwise, I thiink it is done.

:thanks:

Kristi, or anyone, if you say all is good I can mark this thread a success!!

edit: now i just wish there was a mouse patch to fix the mouse breaking when i do a re-start instead of a shutdown and reboot. oh well, can't have everything. :thumbs:

Edited by largegroh

Glad you got it working, but check these modules - I may have made a typo before.

/etc/inittab gets changed from if:3:initdefault to if:5:initdefault

inittab has a lot of stuff in it. Here's mine:

#
# inittab       This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#               the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Author:       Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org>
#               Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing and Donnie Barnes
#

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by Mandrakelinux are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 
id:5:initdefault:

# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

# When our UPS tells us power has failed, assume we have a few minutes
# of power left.  Schedule a shutdown for 2 minutes from now.
# This does, of course, assume you have powerd installed and your
# UPS connected and working correctly.  
pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"

# If power was restored before the shutdown kicked in, cancel it.
pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Also ini/etc/modprobe.preload, ADD a line that has nothing but the word nvidia

Whenever you use vi and come up with a blank screen, it's a sure bet you made a typo on the module name! Exit by ESC then type :q and enter to exet without saving.

give me a copy of the mouse section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and I wil see if I see anything unusual, not that I'm a mice expert!!! :lol:

Kristi Yeah, If I went to Vegas, I would loose everything! Not for me!!!!! :jester:

PS Nvidia (video drivers)(glad I don't have ATI) s a continual thing... a couple of days ago I tried and tried to get Nvidia to mesh with 2.6.11.8 but no go. It's one of those upgrade thingies - I have to change to GCC (C++) v4 before I can do it and I just didn't have the patience! - I'll let someone else blaze that trail (namely Mandrivasoft (or Mandriva corp) Fun, though!!!!!!!!!!! Iam actually back up on 2006 cooker current... we'll see how many minutes it lasts!!!!!!! I enjoy trying to get bleeding edge to work. Prob is BIG changes in CUPS, GCC, and a bunch of other things. We will be patient and I will encourage patience among others!!! 2005 is pretty solid, though!

Kristi

hello all. got back from vegas last night. figured since i had such bad luck there i was due for some good luck here. lol redid kristi's instructions from scratch and walla!!! all awent as she described except for the part :

vi initprobe ||||  EDIT that should have been vi inittab  EDIT  |||||  and change line from 3 to 5. I did not have anything in initprobe. it was a blank screen waiting for me to do something. so...i gambled and just intered the line kristi mentioned:

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT

the name "initprobe" is in error - I am still looking for where I initially made that quote, but you must correct that to 'inittab"

Please edit any of your posts that have that in and change it to inittab so we don't confuse future readers.

Sorry about that!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

lol.. ok will go back through the post to change it.. any initprobe in my posts have been changed to inittab but i can't change the ones in your posts. if there is a way for lme to change yours tell me and i will gladly do it. :P

here is the mouse stuf you asked for.

edit: i am cutting this out and starting a new post as this is new topic.

Edited by largegroh

lol.. ok will go back through the post to change it.. any initprobe in my posts have been changed to inittab but i can't change the ones in your posts. if there is a way for lme to change yours tell me and i will gladly do it.  :P

Thanks!!! Found the original - I think they're all changed Sorry about that :woops:

Kristi

huh?

He reported a few posts ago:

yes login as root.. says' no such command'

This means the NVIDIA* file is almost certainly not flagged as executable.

I figured he had a typo in his "command" - still do.

Huge appologies to scarecrow :woops: I finally got my lazy butt around to downloading it and guess what...

:woops: :woops: :woops:

sorry scarecrow!

I blew it.

Kristi