Avoid probing for hdxs?

I'm currently running Mandrake 10.1 on a bootable USB HDD that's used to boot into various units under test (UUTs) for testing purposes.

When I boot into some units, the boot process hangs a little during booting while probing (I think) hdc. It will return a DMA Timeout notification, but will continue booting as normal after a couple of tries.

This isn't a major problem, but it slows down the booting process and will add extra unnecessary time to testing units. Since I'm not going to be accessing the onboard hard drive (at least for now) for our testing procedures, I don't need to bother with having hdc accessible through Mandrake.

I've tried passing kernel arguments like "hdx=noprobe", "hdx=none" and it seems like they're being ignored by the boot process. I've tried this on Fedora as well and it behaves the same. Other kernel arguments I pass seem to be working though. I want to be able to access other drives, just ignore the on board hard drive and use only the usb hard drive.

Am I missing something, passing the wrong kernel argument or what?

Thanks guys (and gals?)!

Edited by watkinb