8139too module [solved]

griptypethyne

I am running MDK10.1 and kernel 2.6.8.

I have installed a Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10) ethernet card.

I am running MDK10.1 and kernel 2.6.8.

I have discovered that I need to install module 8139too. If I use modprope I cannot find it, although I may have used the wrong command syntax. The card came with a driver on floppy but the Makefile is configured for the 2.4 kernel and will not compile.

ISTM that there are several possiibilities:

- the module reallyis on my system but I am not looking for it correctly.

- I can download a package that will compile with the 2.6.8 kernel.

- I can modify the driver Makefile.

- I can download a file 8139too and add it to my system.

Any help would be appreciated. My broadband connection should be installed in a few days - fortunately I still have a bootable XP partition and I have already checked that XP recognises the ethernet card (-;

# /sbin/modprobe 8139too

Thanks. That seems to have worked. I did try the command before ( I did do some research before asking the question on this forum (-; ) but I did not think that it had worked. What confused me was that if this command is successful it simply returns to the prompt. I have since re-entered the command, deliberately mis-spelling the module name. I received a "module not found message", indirectly confirming that 8139too had been found.

I have now also run ifconfig, modinfo, lsmod and mii-tool and these all suggest that the ethernet interface is ready. If so, that was a lot easier than installing a winmodem (-;