Mandrake 10 / Winxp Dual Booting [solved]

Becky636

Hi all Newbie here. :help:

I am 1000% fustrated w.the linux Os, But after 10 x of messing up the xp partition I decided to give it 1 last try..

Here goes

I have a dell 4600 P2.8 w/HT

512 ram

SOund Blaster live 5.1 audio

Nvidia 5200 W duel monitor support and 2 monitor hoocked up

Intell onboard lan card

250 gig HD w 2 partitions

80 Gig Hard drive

Win TV Go pci tuner

I have XP pro on the 250 gig Partion 1

Mandrake is on the second drive the 80 gig as far it is partition and set up I do not know.img002.bmp

after installing mandrak and rebootion I get

L 07 07 07 07 to about 1/2 the screen..

Windows would not boot

I repaired the mbr w/XP did fixmbr

Now xp boots

I installed the Mandrake CD and rebooted Pressed F1 and types recover

told it to fix the boot loader, after that rebooted and got the L 07 07 07 all over again..

If I can provide any further info let me know.

Please help me

Thanks

Becky

:help:

Edited by Becky636

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. It sounds like the lilo rpm is not good. Try reburning with better media or at a slower speed. 07 means the bios initialization is failing, and gernerally a bad rpm or faulty data is the cause. The problem is reinstalling lilo from the rescue boot does not change things which is why I think it is a data error. Hence, the media or the burn.

OK. It sounds like the lilo rpm is not good. Try reburning with better media or at a slower speed. 07 means the bios initialization is failing, and gernerally a bad rpm or faulty data is the cause. The problem is reinstalling lilo from the rescue boot does not change things which is why I think it is a data error. Hence, the media or the burn.

Let me get this straight, I burned the iso on RW cds. So I should NOT use the RW cd and use regulear CDR's ?

Is this correct?

I am download the DVD version as I am out of CDR's

:D

Becky

Edited by Becky636

ix was saying to burn your media at a slower rate (i recommend 4x). some had bad experiences with burning CDR/RW at high speeds because something gets messed up during installation.

well, it doesnt hurt to be a little careful. :)

ciao!

Burning on CDR or RW is fine, it's just possible that either the ISO image is slightly corrupt in some way, or that the CD's you burnt to have a problem - bad sectors, marks, anything like this that could cause problems during install.

Burning on CDR or RW is fine, it's just possible that either the ISO image is slightly corrupt in some way, or that the CD's you burnt to have a problem - bad sectors, marks, anything like this that could cause problems during install.

I installed the new nero and it says the DVD format is invalid . For Mandrake

I set it to

From the Nero window;

Open the following menu entry: File -> Burn CD image.

Now set the type of file: All files (*.*)

Now select the LinuxISO image file to be burned.

Now you will be informed that Nero does not recognize the format of the image file. Please confirm this dialog.

In the dialog which then appears, set the following parameters.

Type of image: Data Mode 1

Block size: 2048 Bytes

File precursor and length of the image trailer: 0 Bytes

no Scrambled and no Swapped

Click on OK, then Burn.

I guess I have to redownload the dvd ?

Edited by Becky636

Nero should have a choice between cd or dvd. Check it out. Also verify the downloads with the md5sum.

Nero should have a choice between cd or dvd. Check it out. Also verify the downloads with the md5sum.

I found the checksub was bad. How I do not know how. ;(

Redownload and checksub was good Now burning and will try it is say 5 minutes..

I have 2 drives a 250 and 80 gig I want it on the 80 gig it is the slave..

Anything special to do that?

windows is on the 250 gig drives

You should just go with the default for LILO, easist this way..

Also, when you get to the partitioning step, you can select custom partitioning and do it yourself. There is an autopartition button within custom that will help you setup, but you can see for yourself what you are creating..

The way LILO works when you use the default settings is:

BIOS starts with the first drive (windows). It grabs the first sector and gets information on where the boot menu program is located. This boot sector will have a pointer to to your linux drive. From there, it runs the lilo program on your linux drive.

In this fashion, windows remains the first drive and lilo exists on the second drive. That's why the default settings look confusing as you may assume that you want lilo on the second drive. It really is on the second drive, but to get there BIOS has to go through the first drive. It's just a daisy chain process.

Thus, some caveats

1. You can't change the order of the drives and expect LILO to keep working. The pointer definitely points to the second drive address.

2. You can't unplug or remove the second drive. If LILO can't be found, it won't boot.

3. You can't delete linux and expect LILO to keep working. Same reason, LILO can't be found. The fix for this is to boot off the Mandrive/drake CD 1, hit F1, type rescue, and then select from the menu the option to restore the Windows Boot Loader. This reprograms the boot sector to point to the first partition of the first drive (windows).

4. Each time you make a change to the lilo text configuration file /etc/lilo.conf, you need to follow up with the text command

lilo

This processes the lilo.conf file and rewrites the boot information to update it.

Additionally, if you don't understand partitions, do a search on the board for partitions and author is cannonfodder. I think I've written it up a few times..