Will not shut off after shutdown [solved]

Helmut

Hi Folks,

I'm now running LE2005 on two quite similar workstations with different mainbords. Both were upgraded from mdk 10.1 recently. One PC had this problem in 10.1 and has kept it after upgrading to LE2005:

At the very end of the normal and as it seems correct and completed shutdown sequence, the computer stays on and does not go off.

To be precise, after all processes are killed and all drives are turned off, nothing else happens. The power button on the PC's case needs to be pressed manually.

Grateful for any ideas,

Helmut.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by Helmut

Guest flytopia
At the very end of the normal and as it seems correct and completed shutdown sequence, the computer stays on and does not go off.

I solved this problem by enabling ACPI in Lilo.

Can't remember the exact process (I'm at work) but you need to go into MCC, find the Lilo configuration option (under Boot?) and tick "Use ACPI".

You'll need to reboot for the Lilo options to take effect, but then the next time you shutdown the PC should switch off

flytopia

Guest flytopia

Back home now, so here's more details.

1. Start MCC

2. Click on the Boot Loader icon.

3. Check the "Enable ACPI" box.

4. Click Next, then Finish.

5. Reboot.

6. Try shutting down. The PC shoud switch off.

Hopefully :unsure:

flytopia

It's not that big of a deal. In lilo.conf acpi=off should do the trick. If not then change acpi=off or acpi=ht to noacpi. Then try acpi=ht. One of them will work. I've had this minor annoyance several times and that's what fixed it. You don't need to install any freakin' software or get the newest kernel. Try it. Your 'puter won't blow up.

Glennzo

Thanks ERD and Glennzo,

but it still don't work.

All ACPI packages were installed already.

I tried acpi=ht, noacpi and acpi=off, each time with rstart inbetween.

Unfortunately its still not shutting the power switch off. It did so a long time ago, so I suppose its not the hardware... Grateful for any ideas.

regards, Helmut

In previous versions I have resolved this problem by recompiling the kernel and including all APM modules and leaving out ACPI in the build.

Maybe this will work...

It's a hardware dependent thing, caused by badly written BIOSes. On non-broken hardware, it works. It's more obvious on MDV than other distros because we enable APIC by default, and about 90% of the time this problem shows up when APIC is enabled. Many distros leave it disabled by default.

Thanks folks,

You know, there was a time when it actually did work on this computer!

In the mean time everthing you said has been tried (exept for a total reinstall) but the problem persists. Thanks a lot anyhow. I think I'll just have to stick with it...

regards,

Helmut

Hi Scarecrow!

I tried it with power management in BIOS on, and also with off. Originally it worked fine with mdk 10.1, then it didn't any more. After upgrade to SE2005 this fault remained. Just wondering if it needs all ACPI's including in BIOS turned on first, then reinstall, then maybe ACPI back off?

regards,

Helmut.

Edited by Helmut