Hacking Linux Exposed 2nd

Jet2k5

Hey all,

Well I bought this book because I got interested in the art of cracking. So someone suggested that this book pretty much tells you how to crack if you know what material to extract.

From this book I've learned soo much. I've learned things about Linux that I don't think are possible in Windows. This book does show some security flaws, but it shows a great way to counteract them. From learning what buffer overflows are to how Linux sets it's permission on files.

This book is all you can possible have to really have a secure Linux System. So I'm wondering if any of you guys out there own it. And what you think about it.

-Luis

[moved from Security by spinynorman]

if that is the one with the black and red cover then i think i have a *gasp* bootleg *gasp* copy of that in the house. i saw it in a rummage sale for only about US$3 so i picked it up. it was a binded photocopy. unfortunately it was put in my backburner (like everything else nowadays) so i dont know when i will have the time to read it. :(

your post will make me rank it higher in the list. thanks. :)

ciao!

that book is one of the best books i have read. its one book i read pretty much cover to cover.

It's a great book , but it's not really aimed at the average Linux user. I tend to find myself not understanding much of the material. Well ... as far as all the C code goes, everthing else just sticks once I read it once or twice.

Besides that I hav the summer to go, so hopefully I will be done reading the book before I got to school again. So far all I have learned is very awesome, and teaching me a lot.

I have the first "Hacking Exposed", the one you have (I suggested it to you :P ) and also "Hacking Exposed: Fifth Edition".

I enjoy them, and think there's a lot of good info in there - you just gotta read it right ;)

The book has a lot of info, quite frankly I can't soak up all of it. Which just sucks. So what I'm doing is reading an attack by attack. Taking very long breaks in between and re-reading the attacks, just to make sure that I can understand it. Like I think I said before Buffer OverFlows are the ones that I mostly had trouble with. Now it's time to learn about system scanners. I don't know much about them but hopefully I will get to understand them more, when I install them :)

A lot of the info is awesome. I just hoped that they aimed at the normal Linux user, not at the geeks like some of you :cheeky:

-Luis

I was given this book (first edition I think) by someone from the United States for me to read. It is a very worthwhile read, but definitely not for beginners. The hacking scenarios at the end contains great examples of how a computer can be hacked (mostly through human errors) and what did the administrators do to detect it and fix it. The hacking scenarios basically tells me that computer security is basically about trust, who and what do you trust and paranoia is a good thing in computer security.

This is very true DragonMage, and this is exactly why I'm thinking about returning the book. Quite frankly it is not aimed at beginners, I'm very very lost in this book. I need to get my hands on a Linux security book, or a hacking book that aims at the more beginner. I might just keep this around, and when I build the knowledge of good security I will move on it this. So far nmp or what ever it is , it's freaking awesome. How it does port scanns and OS detections. It's awesome.

So if you have a book that teaches you how to crack computer and it's based at a n00b level, send the link my way and I will check it out.

-Luis