Have commands run at startup / login? [solved]

Hi,

I'm running Mandriva 10.2 and I was wondering where you can put commands so that they are executed at startup or when you login?

For example I had to turn off dma support as one of my hard disks doesn't work with it.

Now if I want to watch a dvd I have to use

hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

to enable dma for the dvd player, I have to do this after every reboot.

Where can I add the dparm -d1 /dev/dvd so that I don't have to manually do it all the time.?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Generally speaking, /etc/rc.local.

However, in this case, there's a more elegant MDV solution. Assuming your DVD drive is /dev/hdc - if it's something else, edit the following appropriately - do this. As root:

cd /etc/sysconfig

cp harddisks harddiskhdc

nano harddiskhdc

(or use vim, emacs, whatever floats your boat). It should be fairly obvious what to do, the file is well-commented. Just uncomment the line for enabling DMA.

The files /etc/sysconfig/harddisk* are parsed by the initscripts on boot and used to generate hdparm commands. The settings in the file 'harddisks' will be applied to all hard disks (well, /dev/hd*). If you make a copy of the file named harddiskhda the settings will apply to hda only, a copy named harddiskhdc's settings will apply to hdc only, and so on.