Something I read...

ral

I was not aware that Mandrake was considered a lower level distribution! Isn't it odd that "lower level" distributions are the ones that draw users away from windows? I would think that if any success is in line for our os, drawing users from windigs is a major objective. At any rate, Mandrake is not a dead distribution.

Gui is here to stay, and it won't go away. I think opinions still run counter to gui among parts of our community (linux community, not Mandrakeusers.org). It is an attitude that may be affecting the potential for Linux.

There are already people preparing for a non-profit linux version of that uses mandrake for the base. Like it or not, mandrake has one of the most solid linux community around. Even if mandrakesoft dies, mandrake will live on.

By...any...chance...you have a link? :) > I'd love to read about that.

I too would be interested in that. It's nice that even if the company dies, their open license work does not. I really love diskdrake for example, and would love to see other distros use it.

Not a hard link really, just some discussion in pclinuxonline about people considering that. And then there is this link.

http://ben.reser.org/rants/

that calls for a proposal for a nonprofit style of mandrake community.

But I have a pretty high hope that if mandrakesoft dies, the community will pick it up again..