2005 or 10.2 or 10.3 so confused!

Guest tigerstripedcat

Guest tigerstripedcat

I have 10.2 installed. Do I want to upgrade to LE 2005? Is this part of the same series? Will 10.3 be released? I looked on mandriva's site for an explanation about this but couldn't find anything. Could someone help me please?

Thanks!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Guest tigerstripedcat

So will people just keep up-to-date via urpmi? What about all the upgrade addicts? Won't yearly releases make mandrake out of date in a few months (compared to other releases)?

next release will be out in fall this year (i.e. we're not on the yearly schedule yet), and 2005 will be getting Cooker backports of significant upgrades (likely only available to Club members). 2007 will be the first release on the yearly schedule, it'll come out in fall 2006.

Guest tigerstripedcat

So nonclub members who want frequent updates should probably install a different distribution?

Edited by tigerstripedcat

Guest tigerstripedcat

Guess it depends on your definition of "frequent". I was fine with mandrake's old release cycle, but if I have to wait a year for updates, sorry that's not frequent enough.

I'm thinking of switching to unbuntu. It's the only distro that tops mandriva on distrowatch. Anyone had any experiences with it?

IMHO, if they go to a full year, they should provide updates to everyone. However, they may be doing this to give more perks to club members. Personally, I think it's a great idea. For $66 you get the distro of that year, all the updates, backports, and other perks. But you know...to each their own.

Ubuntu is decent, IMHO. I personally use arch linux (i like very frequent updates and so prefer rolling release cycles). Lately I've been suggesting Ubuntu to newer users because it's easy to use but doesn't contain a lot of bloat.

ubuntu's fine for a desktop, I guess, if you do any more advanced / server stuff you're going to basically end up running debian so may as well install that to start with. If you want frequent updates and don't mind a bit of bleeding-edge syndrome you can always run Cooker, all my machines have run Cooker for three or four years now...

next release will be out in fall this year (i.e. we're not on the yearly schedule yet), and 2005 will be getting Cooker backports of significant upgrades (likely only available to Club members). 2007 will be the first release on the yearly schedule, it'll come out in fall 2006.

that would mean no more cooker

is that what you are suggesting?

Guess it depends on your definition of "frequent".  I was fine with mandrake's old release cycle, but if I have to wait a year for updates, sorry that's not frequent enough.

I'm thinking of switching to unbuntu.  It's the only distro that tops mandriva on distrowatch.  Anyone had any experiences with it?

keep in mind I've had this install of ubuntu since warty beta (b4 their first release)

Ubuntu is nice, I've never used kubuntu as I'm a gnomer.

It's the only other distro i've really enjoyed.

Having said that, and that this is an old install, I'm having more probs with hoary than I did with the devel hoary. Sounds like mandrake, eh? I've had much more success with cooker than the older mandrake versions (9.1 and older). My current ML2k5LE install was cooker since 9.1 and was developing problems. I downloaded the 2005LE iso's just b4 one last upgrade (2005LE mirror) and hope to fix a lot of issues I was having. Well, they were all fixed and I haven't used the iso's.

mandriva/ubuntu

apt/urpmi

either or, they're both great!

Edited by bvc

that would mean no more cooker

is that what you are suggesting?

Er, what? Why would it suggest that? All I said was that Cooker would be used as a source for backports for Club members. Cooker is staying.