Which Linux OS is best?

Guest Simplicity

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, i found that most of the answers were not 100% what you were asking for, so here comes my advice:

mandrake/mandriva is a wonderful multi-purpose distribution for beginners and advanced users alike and not without a reason recommended as a linux-beginners first choice

redhat is primarily for server-based business solutions, so not really what you are looking for. the fedora project is the red hat testbed and not really for beginners at some updates might cripple your laptop and it is considerably slower at bootup. (personal experience)

turbolinux sounds cool by its name, but it is 100% for business solutions and server-workstations, not for the home user.

my recommendation is: download a live-cd like knoppix, mandrake-move or something similar before installing it on your box. these cds run an entire linux-operating system without thouching your harddisk (thus your old system will remain 100%intact once you reboot your system). play around in there, get a first feel for linux. if you see that you understand the desktop in its basic usage, go ahead and grab either

mandriva or suse

as your first systems. once you learn the linux-basics with these systems, you can decide to change to distributions that are more for the experienced linux-users, like gentoo, slackware or debian.

good luck and enjoy your linux-experience. :)

cybrjackle, by all sympathy and respect to your linux-knowledge: slackware is NOT for newbies to linux. it never was and never will be. pat always stated that slack is for experienced to expert users. same goes for rawhide, gentoo, sid and t2 imho.

if you learned everything with slackware, then you are a brave linux user indeed. :D

cybrjackle, by all sympathy and respect to your linux-knowledge: slackware is NOT for newbies to linux. it never was and never will be. pat always stated that slack is for experienced to expert users. same goes for rawhide, gentoo, sid and t2 imho.

if you learned everything with slackware, then you are a brave linux user indeed. :D

Oh. :P

Slackware was the first cd someone handed me at work many moons ago. The funky/fancy gui's didn't exist :lol:

If it has to be windows like, easy gui kind of thing, I would say mdk or suse. Both can be/should be good for noob's and you can get dirty with them if you want, sort of ........ :D

Mandriva or PCLinuxOS, or if you are brave enough, Kanotix.

Mepis is an ugly mix of Sarge and Sid with toys for kids, and immature kernels- I don't like anything in it.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I moved away from Mandrake because I was new to Linux, I didn't feel it was newbie friendly, and it was difficult getting it to work with my hardware. Mepis worked right out of the box. I'm not bashing Mandrake, I'm just saying that Mepis worked better for me. As far as using "immature kernels"....what does that mean? It works fine for me. And what are these "toys for kid" you refer to? Do you even know what Mepis comes with? Are you a developer or engineer? If so, I could see why you would want to compile everything and use command-line only, but not everyone does.

i guess he means the unstable kernels (e.g. 2.6.9 instead of 2.6.8) with "immature". and i am also wondering what he means with toys for kids... :unsure: