Which Linux OS is best?

Guest Simplicity

me)

Bloated or not, but KDE 3.4 is faster than Gnome on my pc. And on one my friend's too, he has an AMD K6 or smthing serie processor.

And at least KDE has options, not like Gnome. As I remember it resulted in a fiendish fan outcry to add an option in the last gnome to disable the new nautilus browsing.

Now, are we finished with kde vs gnome?  :jester:

Well that's weird because on my PC gnome is a hell of a lot faster, everything is simple and runs nice and smoothly. Hey, at least gnome doesn't have that horrible konqueror, i'd rather use IE than that. :lol:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloated or not, but KDE 3.4 is faster than Gnome on my pc. And on one my friend's too, he has an AMD K6 or smthing serie processor.

And at least KDE has options, not like Gnome. As I remember it resulted in a fiendish fan outcry to add an option in the last gnome to disable the new nautilus browsing.

Well, kde is also fast (a long time since I ever used it), but Gnome is astonishing faster on my PC. Diffrent PCs diffrent results! Diffrent distro diffrent results!

About the claim of gnome is less costumize, it's only a few things that KDE can which Gnome can't. But the prize is it's eating up the memory which don't think is worth it (to name one wallpaper shown on the pagers).

As I remember it resulted in a fiendish fan outcry to add an option in the last gnome to disable the new nautilus browsing.

A KDE user shouldn't throw with rocks when they live in a glass-house. Every Desktops have their faults and missings.

A KDE user shouldn't throw with rocks when they live in a glass-house. Every Desktops have their faults and missings.

Of course, I agree, I'm just involved in a little KDE vs Gnome jihaad now with some friends on i-net. Making propaganda wallpapers, etc, just for fun.

"The best distro is one that your local guru knows the best"

unknown

You should take the one that is easy to get help with, for me it is MDK10.1 .

It is fast and easy to learn. I've tried Debian and Fedora and found that MDK is more human for nubs :)

I say start with mandriva or mandrake. It's easy, first off, the people here are great and can provide a lot of help, and a lot of the differences between windows and linux are slightly less apparent compared to other distros; which, in my opinion, is what makes the linux learning curve larger than it should be. Lots of things will be where you expect them to be (or not far from it at least). Redhat/Fedora was one of the worst for me - the menus were a mess, gnome is gnome, etc. Which brings me to the misplaced KDE vs. Gnome discussion...

Through a lot of testing of multiple types of hardware/configs, KDE has shown to be faster than Gnome (only slightly) and the default menu layouts are much nicer. Keep in mind that most of my KDE usage has been with mandrake, vs my Gnome experience with Redhat. Both distros also modify the menu structures a lot (compared to the defaults for both these desktop enviroments). The reality of it is they are both way too slow, and fluxbox (0.9x) is just so sweet. Any window manager will be faster than full-blown desktop environments, as DE's are usually trying to emulate windows to start with, and step one of that process seems to be "let's slow it all down"! (This is all from personal experience. No flames please. Also, about the DE's emulating windows? I am fully aware that M$ ripped the whole shabang from Apple to begin with... but it's true. Windows is what most people know, so it becomes the logical source for interface-layout copying!)

Linux is all about choice, so try 2 or 3 distributions, and try out KDE, Gnome, and fluxbox on every distro you try.

Mandriva is good first time round,

recently though I know a number of new

users who have had good results with morphix.

Why not take a look at a number of live cd's and play around a little?

That's what I've been advising people new to our company lug to do.

At work Fedora is a popular choice with our first timers. Admittedly theres a fair amount of support available but I'm not sure they need much even though many aren't really tech people. I haven't used it much but it too seems like a nice clean and easy distro.

As for morphix the install isn't very flexible though not actually difficult. As it's debian based it's also easy to manitain / upgrade. Cofiguration tools are not as comprehensive as Mandriva though.

Best of luck!

heck, it runs my web / mailserver well enough, and I'd say there's nothing wrong with the quality of our server packages. For a geeky Linux administrator there's not really a huge difference between distros for server use, IMHO, so most would just use whatever they're used to...if I became a server admin tomorrow I'd use a stripped down MDV install because I'm comfortable in MDV, if I'd grown up in SUSE or Debian I'd use those. The only place where distros can really differentiate is in providing packages for non-geeky / Windows crossover admins...