Which Linux OS is best?

Guest Simplicity

Guest Simplicity

my laptop specs:

HD: 6 Gig (i want a 2,5G win partition & 2,5G Linux)

Celeron 500

128Mb RAM

6Mb onboard ATI video card

what version of linux is best for me?

im looking for high usablity cuase i dont know jack about unix still..

looking for something simple and easily configurable with alot of options

debian

fendora

gentoo

lycoris

mandrake

redhat

slackware

turbolinux

yellowdog

so far id say the chose would be between:

mandrake, radhat and turbolinux

but which one do u guys advice?

and why?

thnxxxx & peace

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a nub as well, tried almost everything out there before settling on Mandriva LE 2005 to learn Linux. I liked the following in order:

1. LE 2005

2. Kubuntu/Ubuntu

3. Fedora Core 3

4. Suse

Have a look at this http://distrowatch.com/ to get an idea of what is out there, I recommend trying at least a half dozen distros to see what suits your style before settling on one to learn.

I suggest that you just have to try MDV2005, then apply all the answer in your security related previous post. Why I suggest mndv?, because its easier to install the distro itself and thus addin package thru urmpi. Well, after you become more familiar on it, then you can try thus distro that others said more stable but actually more complex to install.. (like debian, slackware or other nix like openBSD)

The truth is that you need to find the best distro for you - there is not correct answer to your question.

I think that Mandriva is a great distro to start with (I started with Mandrake) but if Ubuntu had been around when I started, I would have chosen that instead - I find it to be easier to install and less convoluted than Mandriva (just me).

Choosing a Linux distro is one of the most difficult things as a newb - but it shouldn't be. Just choose one, anyone (except yellow dog - that is for Apple computers) and try and install it. We're here to help, and if it doesn't work - move on to the next one.

It's the choice that makes open source and Linux so cool ;)

Error: Undefined.

There is no best distro.

It's all really personal opinion, I like Arch Linux, which is what i use becuase it provides a simple basic base, from which I can mould the distro to be exactly how I like it.

There are however distros that are more suitable, but quite frankly, your hardware doesnt look all too special so mandrake would do you fine.

Fluxbox, XFCE(4) and KDE are for me the only desktops worth considering... it depends on the box oomph.

For really lo-fi machines, Fluxbox is exhellent, but configuration must be done with your text editor (unless I miss some extraordinary config tool, like Whitebox (which oddly enough is usable for blackbox-only).

Fluxbox and blackbox are quite good, but of course only the best for me. (Gnome)

I never liked KDE it's so bloated. :P

Bloated or not, but KDE 3.4 is faster than Gnome on my pc. And on one my friend's too, he has an AMD K6 or smthing serie processor.

And at least KDE has options, not like Gnome. As I remember it resulted in a fiendish fan outcry to add an option in the last gnome to disable the new nautilus browsing.

Now, are we finished with kde vs gnome? :jester: