Resetting Session [solved]

ianw1974

For some reason, my KDE session has started to run extremely slow. Logging in takes a long time, and when I launch applications, these also take a long time.

Does anyone know why this could have happened? How do I reset the session, so that it's not restoring it each time I log in?

Open up KDE Control Centre select Components then select Session Manager.

In there you can select On Login and select Start with an empty session.

Click Apply and you are done.

Cheers. John.

Hi, still have problems even now.

The system boots, but really slowly. The login process to KDE takes a long time to process.

I was just using my system, and then it suddenly changed. Also, has anyone info on what the "nobody" login is? It's a hidden user I just found.

How's your cpu/ram usage?

Try the 'top' command from terminal and see what is taking all those resources.

Maybe it's not KDE

Did you try logging in into another Window Manager (Fluxbox, or IceWm for instance)?

RAM has 816MB free.

Processor load is low, around 30 percent peak from what I see in KDE System Guard right now.

I don't have any other desktops installed, but it's odd how it has started to take so long to boot when I turn the machine on.

hummm duno

did you install or change something in configs before that restart?

any changes in services started at boot?

p.s. urpmi fluxbox

it is just over 1mb and is good when you need X and KDE is not an option at that moment.

also, press ESC during boot and see what takes it so long to boot, i.e., where exactly it freezes and what is the next process in queue.

p.s. I've disabled =silent in LILO, so that I always see a detailed boot view. It's convenient

No, not changed anything. I noticed an xprint service that wasn't there before. I've also disabled bluetooth services as I'm not using them, but it doesn't really seem to have helped.

I was just happily using the system, and then it started going really slow!

sorry, can't help you from here.

I haven't encountered such a problem where the quilty process can not be identified (or it's not hardware).

Still.. where exactly at boot it freezes, at what stage?

Once long ago for me it was eth (my network card) and I had to adjust my network setup a bit.

Edited by solarian

You know what, I think I found the problem.

First of all I figured I would reconfigure my IP config to see if this would help. This didn't really do too much, but it did add the following to my loop back ip in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 ianlinux localhost

Previously it read the IP with just localhost, so I think my missing name could have contributed to it a little.

I then remembered that my firewall can be a bit flaky. I have a hardware firewall which runs Linux Coldfire. It's OK when you configure it from a hard reset. But if you change anything IP related (such as the DNS servers I did the other day), then it can generate errors in the log which effects network performance.

So I reset it, configured from scratch as it should be, and I'm now back to normal!!! Bizarre one hey! :P