Newbie old guy (62) needs serious help! [solved]

largegroh

ok, i will lay out my situation and hopefully some linux/computer guru will lay the solution out for me. :P

I have winxp installed on my primary HD (60 gig)

I have just picked up a second HD (120 gig) and installed it as secondary HD

I want to set up the second HD as a Linux HD with 3 partitions for 3 different distros.

I want whatever other partitions that are needed for Linux: home,share,etc

atm the linux hd is unformatted. I have tried creating partitions with 7tools PM and I can make them fine but they are not seen from windows (maybe normal) but I don't seem to be able to put any installs there either. I tried Simply MEPIS 3 test 2 and when it asked for where i wanted it I could not type anything in the box and the drop down had only the word 'none'

I am sure it is something I am doing/not doing when i creat them. they show up as 'primary' partitions inside my partition maker but not elsewhere. I am lost.

If someone can talk me through it with mandrake maybe I can get it to work with others as well.. shrug.

Edited by largegroh

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the second hard drive, is there any reason as to why it's all set to FAT32?

Or have you removed this now, and configured EXT3 partitions for /, Home, Swap, etc?

OK. The easiest way is this.

Boot from your Linux CD, and the install process will ask you to configure the disk during installation. You shouldn't need to partition with any other software prior to installing Linux.

You may get asked about installing the LILO, make sure this goes to the MBR.

Yes, you can click the advanced button, (or let me choose where to install), and then you can set the partitions on the second drive.

The first drive will have LILO installed to the MBR, so that you can select to boot Windows, linux, etc, etc.

I've never installed additional distros, but would expect that it will append to the LILO menu, so that you have Windows, Linux A, Linux B, Linux C - the latter letter corresponding to whichever distro.

other problem I have since I do not know what i am doing is that the swecond drive is not even listed in windows explorer.. assume it is because it is no formatted. since it is not listed what will i choose.. hdb? HD2? and mandrake will take care of things after that? sorry for so many questions.

Boot to Windows, then right click My Computer and click Manage (if Windows 2000 or XP).

Then go to the disk manager, and you should be able to see both disks.

If not, then you need to reboot and press DEL to go into the bios, and then go to IDE Hard Disks, and auto detect to make sure both primary and secondary drives have been detected.

If you were able to format it in your system before, then you should be able to see it in the Windows Disk Manager.

one other thing. what do i use to see the other partitions from mandrake? something like win explorer to see the hd in windows?? Is this already part of mandrake or do i need to dl something else?

almost rdy to start install.. making last iso disk now.. (peeks around corner)

If your partitions are FAT32 or NTFS you can see them from Linux no probs.

I usually access mine by going to /mnt/hda1 - which is the partition Windows exists for me.

Once you've installed, you can use Konqueror to browse - Home icon on desktop.

I'm assuming your using KDE. If so, then you will have a Home icon on the desktop. This is effectively launched with Konqueror which is like Explorer if you like.

You can go into the Install Software, and there is a kdeaddon for a search bar for konqueror.

Click the Star, then System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software. Then supply the root password you set earlier.

Then look in the list for kdeaddons-searchbar.

Or alternatively, install Mozilla Firefox from www.mozilla.org - this will do searches over google.