What Kernel source do I need for Nvidia drivers?

Slagathor

I am trying to install nVidi 66.29 drivers.

The installer keeps telling me I dont have the right Kernel source installed.

This is what I have installed:

Name: kernel-source-2.6

Version: 2.6.8.1-12mdk

Size: 186389 KB

Running the uname -a gives me this:

Linux localhost 2.6.8.1-12mdk #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon XP-M unknown GNU/Linux

I currently have 61.11 drivers installed. I want to update the drivers because I somehow broke the 61.11's

GLXINFO:

name of display: :0.0

display: :0 screen: 0

direct rendering: No

I discovered they were broke when I tryed to play some BF1942 last night, GLXGears runs, but slower then I remember:

31941 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6388.200 FPS

31947 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6389.400 FPS

31947 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6389.400 FPS

I have been going insane here trying to fix the current install, or installing the newer drivers.

I am using the PowerPack install version of 10.1, I got it from a friend who got sick of playing with it.

I notice I could get the nVidia-kernel from thac's, should I try this?????

I also tryed with the kernel-source-path with the drivers, I am assuming, they are in /usr/src/linux-***.

I also searched everywhere I could think of, but with no luck, hence this post.........:D

Thanks for your time......... :thumbs:

You should have run "nvidia-update" as root to get the latest drivers.

The problem might be that you are trying to insall new drivers while the older ones are still installed...

I'm afraid that's my best guess... i've never had the problem....

You should have run "nvidia-update" as root to get the latest drivers.

The problem might be that you are trying to insall new drivers while the older ones are still installed...

I'm afraid that's my best guess... i've never had the problem....

Tryed that.......

bash: nvidia-update: command not found.....:(

Edited by Slagathor

Guest anon

Try starting from scratch again, run as root :

rpm -qa | grep kernel

Mke sure running kernel and source match.

delete any nvidia kernels with rpm -e nvidia_file_name then download and run the nvidia installer again.

The Kernel-Source number must be EXACTLY the same as the Kernel.

Kernel and Kernel-Source are not the same thing but they need to have the same number.

You need to check that they have same number by going into MCC --> Software Management --> Look at installed software and uninstall software packages and looking at what is already installed.

I suspect that you have downloaded a later version of Kernel-Source than you have Kernel.

If that is the case then download the matching Kernel to the Kernel-Source.

When you have done that then you will have to return to MCC, go into Boot and select the new kernel to run. Reboot now using the new kernel and when you have finally logged in then do the nvidia driver install routine. Don't get confused by the install routine, just keep clicking OK through all the parts and you should be ok usually.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Another alternative is to type one of the following commands at the prompt:

uname -a

uname -r

the -a gives more information, the -r just lists the kernel.

Ok, so the quickest and easiest fix would be too reinstall eh??????? heh

(microsoft has spoiled me....heh)

This is what I have installed:

Name: kernel-source-2.6

Version: 2.6.8.1-12mdk

Size: 186389 KB

Running the uname -a gives me this:

Linux localhost 2.6.8.1-12mdk #1 Fri Oct 1 12:53:41 CEST 2004 i686 AMD Athlon XP-M unknown GNU/Linux

Thats what I have installed, they match, unless I am missing something.

I think the 61.11's were installed automaticly when I did the last fresh install.

I dont understand what your telling me to do AussieJohn.

I have only successfully installed the nVidia video drivers twice, once to the newest, then HL2 wouldn't run, so I installed the 66.29's, (now I cant find my smokes.....AHHHHHH!!!!!).

Then I reinstalled cause I broke something else.....:whoops:

I am beginning to go crazy........heh

I can post my X86Config if it could help getting GL working without installing the newer nVidia driver.

The Kernel_source I listed above came from MCC remove programs.

post-1024-1115489386_thumb.jpg

I've never installed NVidia drivers, but I've installed Intel ones, and the way I had to do that was from the CLI, so that it uses the kernel source for compiling so that OpenGL will work for you.

They normally recommend this is done without X running, and then just startx after you've completed the instructions for installing the driver, and then you should be fine.

To test, from the CLI type glxgears - it'll run a little prog to check if it's OK.

One other things, ensure something like MESA is installed, so that you have the OpenGL libraries. I usually make sure they are installed prior to installing the video driver.

Problem is that you had the nVidia-drivers coming WITH your distro. I have no experience with that (since I am a free download leecher ;-) )

Anyway, you'll have to find a way to remove the 'standard' nVidia-install. After that, you can install the new one. The installing shouldn't give any problems then.

You'll probably have to do a bit of changing in the xorg.conf I guess, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't have direct rendering after that, check my other thread (name something like: "nVidia driver -> direct rendering: no"), I have explained how to make the install complete in 10.1 (since you'll probably have some miss-linked GLsomething.so files like I had).

You are telling us what version of Kernel-Source you have installed but you are not telling us what version Kernel you have. I repeat:- The two things are two different things but they must have the same version number because they work as a matching pair.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

The easiest way to find which version Kernel you are using is just open up KDE Control centre and it is right there on the front of the opening panel.

See snapshot below.

My Kernel-Source is :- kernel-source-2.6

Version: 2.6.11-6mdk

The Kernel shown in the snapshot has the same version number.

Can you see that the two have the same version number.

I will bet your system does not and that is why you cannot install the nvidia driver.

John

The results you posted before with the uname -a did show the kernel version you have, and that it did match the kernel source you installed.

So you're OK here :P

The next part is the NVidia bit. I can't really help you on that, but I'm sure someone else will. I use an Intel video card, so the process should be pretty similar.