Difference between 2005 LE Commercial and Free?

theo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our legal page states that you can't legally redistribute the commercial versions due to the licensing issues Theo states. You could legally redistribute all the software off them which is under a license that allows you to freely redistribute it, you'd have to check the licensing terms for yourself. However, if you brand it as Mandriva without our authorisation, we have a legal right to zap you for trademark infringement (this is why there are all the amusingly-named clones of Red Hat, like White Box or whatever, as Red Hat actually have the legal resources to clobber people who distribute the clones under the Red Hat name). If there are cheap CD places distributing the PowerPack versions, that's technically illegal and I'm sure our huge, high-powered legal department would want to know about it, if it existed. Note that there is one cheap CD vendor we actually have a licensing agreement with allowing them to distribute the PowerPack versions, I don't remember which one it is.

a huge, high-powered legal department?

I believe he was trying to point at that Mandriva does not have the legal resources to persue any such violaters.

BTW - i love how everyone rips on Mandriva's marketing department, yet here you are, using their linux distribution. apparently they're marketing isn't too shabby after all.

Hardly :)

My sister adviced me to try Mandrake as my first distro and she herself found Mandrake through distrowatch.

I also read a lot of reviews of various distributions, before installing MDK 9.1

there's various forms of marketing. one of them is word of mouth, and is a large part of any marketing model (as i understand it). in fact, word of mouth can be one of the best marketing tools ever.

Edited by tymark

Ummm....

Marketing to geeks is very simple. Geeks are good hearted and, if they have the money, generous. Even if they don't have the money, most geeks are willing to spend their time helping an organization that could care less about their input. No, Mandriva's "marketing" to geeks is a credit to the nature of geeks, and not Mandriva. They absolutely need to market their product. Or, at least offer what their marketing plan is, as opposed to whatever it is they think they are doing! B)

Actually, they seem to be warming up lately, at least here they have.

Ok! If you re-read my post, you'll see that I wanted to upgrate my computer! (but somes questions were outstanding)

Then ... I downloaded Mandriva 10.2/LE Edition, backuped my home & etc directories, profited to re-arrange my partitions (I'm a little bit maniac -_- ), formated my ô very old Mandrake PowerPack 10.1 ;) and finally installed Mandriva 10.2/LE Edition ...

Cool ... it's done :)

With some problems (WTF postfix who bugged my kdm???) but all is now resolved and I succeeded to recover +/- 95% of my old config (5% will be for later :cheesy: ).

I'm finally happy to have done this step because, now, I'm more confident with upgrades of my system (with linux) and I feel like a kid :rolleyes:

Voila. Thank you all for all the informations you share! The rich men are here.

:jester:

Edited by theo

there's various forms of marketing.  one of them is word of mouth, and is a large part of any marketing model (as i understand it).  in fact, word of mouth can be one of the best marketing tools ever.

well, in that case it's a very passive marketing, because the quality of the product itself does it,

there is no need for a marketing dep. in that case and yet.. Mandriva is a comercial company and therefore it's essential that it has a better than just mouth-to-mouth passive marketing.

It can use mouth-to-mouth, but then it has to give its' geek userbase a lot more information and feeling of involvement in the distro, so that the geeks can give quality mouth-to-mouth marketing to other people.

It can use mouth-to-mouth, but then it has to give its' geek userbase a lot more information and feeling of involvement in the distro, so that the geeks can give quality mouth-to-mouth marketing to other people.

ever gotten involved in cooker? or the mailing list? :P

and now we have adamw wandering around, even though here he plays a role of community member and isn't some official representative of Mandrakesoft, he's here and listening none-the-less.

theo: sorry, as happens in this forum (and talk talk) things tend to get a little off-topic, we didn't mean to hijack your thread or anything ;)

Edited by tymark

tymark: well, i'm the official rep on the Club forums now, so I take it upon myself to also be the rep here, so I guess I'm sorta quasi-kinda-not-really-official now. :)

And, uh, yeah, our marketing has always worked perfectly! It's a very subtle form of viral marketing which persuades you to recommend MDV to all your friends! We're genuises, don't you see, geniuses...

i think mandrake (now mandriva) has done quite well in the marketing stakes up untill now.

i first saw it offered for free on a magazine cover disc!

one cd of mandrake 7.2 (curiosity ensued) and i was intrigued by a different operating system to M$.

my modem wouldn't work i had no 3d and setting up my printer was hard work but hey it was fun to try something different.

then it was a baby (well a toddler) and i didn't play with it for long, but my curiosity was aroused.

then came 8.0 much better, things started to work and i told my friends about it.

word of mouth spreads at an exponential rate.

whilst still a small concern this is fine not everything worked, so keep the numbers of people trying it out, growing slowly whilst working out the bugs.

but now i feel mandriva (and for that matter linux in general) is ready to take on all comers!

mandriva need to get into big time advertising, like tv, radio etc etc.............

even if they combined with other distros to share costs!

its what microshaft is doing right now, advertising like mad (which i take to mean they are really scared).

and besides all that, mandrake got itself out of financial difficulties in double quick time and even got enough revenue to buy conectiva!! so they're marketing can't be that bad............................. can it?

reb