Need help

Guest erhard

Guest erhard

Over the past few weeks i started "using" linux. Mandrake and ubuntu are the 2 distros that worked best till now. While Ubuntu worked really well with my DSL USB router/modem i couldnt read stuff from my FAT32 partition or even listen to MP3s. Madrake on the other hand was great because i could listen to MP3s and read files from my FAT32 partition but no matter what i did i couldnt get the internet to work.

I'm using a router thats a modem at the same time my fathers mp is connected via LAN and his internet works great (he is using madrake 10.1) my computer however is connected with USB.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend you to install a ethernet board in your computer. Ethernet connexions are better than USB.

Otherwise go to the MCC (Mandrake Control Center) and look into Network and Internet section if everything is alright.

Bye

Have you checked in harddrake to see that the USB device is recognised?

With the USB, you should normally have to configure a PPP+ device to be able to get a connection.

The dialer string is a combination of your VPI and VCI for the DSL connection. For example, where I am now the dialer string is:

P 0,35

The VPI is 0 and the VCI is 35. Don't forget a space between P and 0. This will be different settings for you however.

Is the USB a totally separate device that connects to DSL than your father over ethernet?

Hope this helps.

Edited by ianw1974