Migrating from 9.1 to 10.1

Guest JeffPalmer

Guest JeffPalmer

I currently have Mandrake 9.1 running on a Dual Pentium Pro 200 system. I figured it was time to retire it and I purchaed a Dell PowerEdge 6450 Quad Xeon PIII system. It has taken me a long time to get my 9.1 system working just the way I want. My question is if there is an easy way to migrate to the new system (configuration settings, users, mail, etc), or do I need to check each and every sub-system configuration file to duplicate the settings? What is the easiest way to move the files from the old system to the new one?

I use my 9.1 system as a firewall/router, DHCP server, Web, etc. I noticed that many of the server related items (such as DHCPd services and Shorewall firewall) were not included in the 10.1 3-cd download set (I found the DHCP server items in the 10.0 mirror directories). Are these no longer included with 10.1 or am I missing something? Are there any other services not included in 10.1 that were available with 9.1?

Thanks!

I managed to download MDK 10.1 DVD version. This may have everything you require, as I've not noticed anything missing - but then I only use as desktop environment rather than server environment.

Edited by ianw1974

Please don't publicise pirated versions of our commercial releases, thanks.

Jeff: space on the three CD release is limited, and a rather small subset of the entire distribution has to be chosen to go on that release. (You can't fit all of main + contrib on a DVD, quite, let alone three CDs). All that software is of course still built and provided for current releases, but it may not have been put on the three CD release due to the space concerns. Shouldn't be a problem, though; all you need to do is run a normal installation, go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ , follow the scripts to set up urpmi media for main and contrib, and then you'll be able to install it all via urpmi or rpmdrake.

Now for the bad news - I expect you'll have to make quite a few changes from 9.1 to 10.1. There's a year and half between those releases, and a lot can change with Linux server software in that time, so I think that just copying all your configuration files straight across may well not be an option. If it's feasible, I'd suggest you keep your 9.1 system running, do a clean install on the new machine and then bring it up to speed with the 9.1 system gradually, all the while running it in a dry-run mode and using the 9.1 as your production server. Install all the software you need, then manually implement the appropriate configuration changes from the 9.1 machine, modifying them to suit the updated software as necessary. If you just try and copy all the config files straight over from /etc on the old machine to /etc on the new one, I think you'd have trouble.

Guest JeffPalmer

Thanks for the advice. Currently, what I was doing was slowly going through all the settings (one by one) and trying to match them up. I am far less concerned with moving all the settings than with moving settings for specific applications (like Apache, PostFix, ProFTP, etc).

Some of the missing applications, like DHCPd, Shorewall, etc, I have located around the web, but I wasn't sure that I did not have them because they were no longer included, included on a different disc set, etc. I'll try the link you provided. Thank you.

I have subsequently gone and bought 3 copies of MDK 10.1 Official Powerpack, since I hadn't realised I'd downloaded a pirated version.

I thought all were free downloads, and the only reason I had downloaded the way I did was to get the download quicker, than visiting linuxiso.org for example.

I don't use pirated software, and since it had been pointed out to me, was rather shocked that I had.

adamw, many thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

Hey, it's no sweat, honest mistake and all that :). Thanks for the business. The 3 CD 'download' edition (and the corresponding 2.1GB DVD version) are always the only official editions that can be freely redistributed. The 4 CD, 6 CD and 4GB DVD editions can't be. Theoretically I suppose someone could take a full mirror from one of the FTP sites and use mkcd to build an unofficial version with lots of main and contrib packages, and that'd be free to redistribute, but I don't think anyone actually makes such a self-built edition public (some people do it for their own private use).

I've just checked, and my DVD was 2.2GB!!!! So I was probably alright!

Never mind, I have the bigger releases coming shortly :P

Currently I have 3 machines, and will update to the releases I have just bought. Does licensing work the same way for these editions, eg: one copy per machine. I'm thinking about when I want to install on more machines you see.

I know the free download would be OK to hold one media set and install onto many machines, but wondered if it worked differently for the purchased releases.

Edited by ianw1974

No, it's not there. I'll see if it can be added, though, as it's a question obviously people will want to know the answer to! Hey, that'll be the first time I get to deal with the legal department, wish me luck...(thinks: do we actually have a legal department? Or just a lawyer? :>)