Desktop icons have disappeared [solved]

niti

activate the hidden files view in konqueror. now backup all important data you might have in your /.kde and subfolders (in case you are using e.g. kmail).

now move the hidden /.kde and /.qt folder to your trash. this will regenerate the default settings for kde 3.4 once you log in again. i hope your icons will be back in place then. if not, please report back.

good luck. :)

I did that you said. But KDE 3.4 does not start.Instead, KDE 3.3 starts now. The icons are still disappearing on desktop. I cant find trash icon to recover the former .kde and .qt folders .

PLEASE HELP

if kde 3.3 starts now, i guess you made a big mistake when updating to kde 3.4. you need to uninstall kde 3.3 before updating to 3.4 afaik. otherwise, your system will go nuts.

in any case... as the temporary files you removed are still in the trash (/home/username/.trash), put them back in place. this should get you back to the old settings.

it is better to wait for others opinion on this, but i almost guess you need to reinstall 3.4 properly.

in order to facilitate things, please tell us what you did when you updated to kde 3.4. give information on uninstalled packages, commands you ran and installed kde libraries, if possible.

Edited by arctic

Like you said, I did not uninstall KDE 3.3. I directly update it to 3.4 with synaptic with cocoker repositories. I ran synaptic and went to upgradable sections and selected all upgradeable packages that are generally KDE 3.4 upgrade packages.

I am in Gnome 2.10 now and will uninstall all KDE packages and reinstall with just 3.4 packages now.

Edited by niti

I did now reinstallation. The icons are not still seeing on the desktop. I created the link location /user/.Trash folder . Then, I double click it, the window is pop up, which involves "open with"."run in terminal" etc.

For example, I move a file to trash with right click menu. Then I went to /.Trash in my home folder. It has nothing in.

Edited by niti

hmm... now i think that i do see the problem. you are running cooker packages which are development packages. thus they tend to break things and they are definitely not for relative inexperienced linux users. there are other sources for kde 3.4. we do have a topic on this here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=24239&hl=

i hope the packages submitted there will not recreate this bug.

Try opening KDE Control Centre. Go to Look & Feel and click on Behavior. Make sure there is an x in the part titled Show Icons On Desktop.

Then click on APPLY at the bottom and you should see your icons again.

Cheers. John.

Try opening KDE Control Centre. Go to Look & Feel and click on Behavior.   Make sure there is an   x  in the part titled Show Icons On Desktop.

oooh... i had forgotten about this option... doh! yes, try this first before anything else.

thanks, john. :D

Try opening KDE Control Centre. Go to Look & Feel and click on Behavior.  Make sure there is an  x  in the part titled Show Icons On Desktop.

Dear John,

Thanks for your interest. I checked it that Control Center, it is selected. My problem is still going on. For example, I created a new "link to location" to .trash in my home folder. Then, I delete a file, open trash folder but deleted file is not appearing.

Edited by niti