How to Install Modem Driver?

lakelover

I have a "win" modem in a Dell Dimension 2300 box. Dell provides a Red Hat linux driver for this modem (BCM V.92 56k) which I have downloaded and put on a floppy. First: Will a Red Hat driver work in Mandrivalinux 10.2? Secondly, how do I install the driver? I'm a complete newbie so I need step-by-step instructions. I'll appreciate any help you can give me. Lastly, if a Red Hat driver won't work, do I have any alternative other then buying a new modem? Jerry

If it's an RPM, I'd say, give it a try.

If it doesn't work you could alwasy uninstall it.

And if you discovered that it didn't work, you could always try and extract the RPM and rebuild it for your kernel.

Okay, here's a short introduction to RPM:

RPM-files end with ".rpm". Installing them can be done using the following command:

rpm -ivh filename.rpm

But you don't seem to have one.

If it's a tar.gz file, I'd recommend unpacking it (you might want to try 'ark' for that) and telling us what you find inside.

If it's sourcecode, you'd be lucky. It means you have to compile it yourself (don't worry, that part's easy, but I won't bother with details now) and install it. Which means it should be able to work fine with Mandriva.

But then again, I doubt if they would provide source-code for their hardware...

So I must admit I dare not say what sort of files you have.

Could you maybe post a listing of all files in the tar.gz?

Okay, here's a short introduction to RPM:

RPM-files end with ".rpm". Installing them can be done using the following command:

rpm -ivh filename.rpm

Well, I may be in luck. There are two files on the floppy. The first seems to be a label, only. It's "bcm42123-source." It's size is 0. The second file is "bcm4212-source/BCM-3.4.19-6.src.rpm." It's size is 504,445.

So I guess it is an rpm file. Now, do I go to the command line and enter "rpm -ivh bcm4212-source/BCM-3.4.19-6.src.rpm" I'll try it a see what happens.

Thanks for your help and if you have more instructions, let me know. Jerry

I got there but rpm wouldn't install it. I got the message: "you probably didn't want to install it on your computer (installing would allow you to make modifications)." I went ahead and clicked on "Install" but then gave a message "unable to register rpm file." (I think that was the message. I tried various things so I may have the messages mixed up.) I then went to the terminal and tried putting in the command you suggested, in root, but it would execute the command. I'm not sure I wrote the command properly but tied it a couple of time. Any ideas?

Still no-go. I got the message: "Installing (file name)." Then, "Warning user lui sgm does not exist - using root," and "error unpacking archive failed on file/user/src/RPM/SOURCES (file name)" and finally: "(file name) cannot be installed."

This suggests that the file is not readable in Mandrivalinux, or I don't have the file in the right folder or something of that nature. This file was written for Redhat, as I mentioned earlier.

More suggestions? I really appreciate your time and patience.

User lui sgm ???

Am I missing anything here? Or is lui sgm your username in linux?

This is not a message I have ever encountered...

You did use

rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm

did you?

And you did do that while being root?

My $.02

Buy a hardware modem.

Don't get me wrong, there's a number of winmodems that can be made to work, and once you've gotten one working, getting it working next time you install a new version of linux will get easier and easier, but IMO, it's just not worth it.

One of the frequently overlooked advantages to hardware controlled modems, is that they work better. It's not just a matter of driver support. If you are stuck on dial-up, a pitiable situation, you may a well get the most you can out of your dial-up.

In my experience, hardware conttrolled modems, connect faster, in fewer tries, and have few dropped connections as well as better mainained speeds while connected. They are better in every respect, and if you check around, and do some internet shopping, you can pick them up for as litle as $10 for a hardware controlled PCI modem. That's right, I've seen them for as little as $10.00 plus shipping. Try ebay.

Externals have their own mix of good and bad, but hardware controlled is what counts.

User lui sgm ???

Am I missing anything here? Or is lui sgm your username in linux?

This is not a message I have ever encountered...

You did use

rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm

did you?

And you did do that while being root?

If the sources are built non-generically, they can have the builder's file info. Defaulting to root should work fine. If teh file was processed from an other than normal tree, then it would error because it is trying to place its packages in areas that don't exist. The tree can be customized. Standards are not always accepted by everyone.

Oh, and get a hardware modem!

Here's the latest. . . I entered the rpm -- rebuild (file) on the consol command line and it produced a number of linds of code. I saved that to a text file, not knowing what else to do with it. I tried the root command, again, and go the same error message which included "User luisgm. . ." which is not my root password.

I guess I'll take the advice to get a hardware modem. If I can get one delivered for under $20, that's a low-cost solution. I do, however, enjoy a challenge. If you have any further suggestions on getting this Redhat driver installed, I'll give it a try. I'll be gone tomorrow through Monday, so it'll be next week before I can do anything, but thanks again for all your help.