10.1 Problem on Inspiron 1000

I'm having a problem, I'm trying to install a newer version on Mandrake on a Dell Inspiron 1000. So far 10.0 Community Edition has ran perfect on it but when I try to install 10.1 Official (by clean install or upgrade) upon loading into KDE the screen goes blank and stays that way. I was wondering if anyone could give me any info about what to do.

Did you install any other desktops like Gnome, etc? Have you tried logging into one of these, and does it work? Is it just KDE that's affected?

What graphics card does your laptop have? I found a problem with my graphics card on 10.1 Official, which I didn't find with 10.0. The only real difference between the two is XFree86 in 10.0 and XOrg in 10.1 that may have been why.

What you'll need to do is install the drivers for your video card, and hopefully you should be fine. I expect that you won't be able to get into any of the GUI's, including Gnome, but it's worth a shot just to make sure it's not KDE that's screwed.

When you installed MDK 10.1, did you check the final screen for the hardware and was the Graphics card showing as "Not Configured"? Mine was, so I configured it before I rebooted for the first time after the installation.

Sorry had to add as I forgot something. It's most likely that you'll have to install the video card driver from the CLI. This is so that X isn't running, and when you boot into it again, it should be with the new drivers.

Edited by ianw1974