Mandriva 10.1 Hardware Problem

lostlinux

Greetings!

I think that you have all heard from me before about this same problem. After 2 weeks, I am still unable to connect to the internet with Mandriva 10.1. I figure that it is a problem with my modem, Conexant D850 56k V.9xDFVc (a winmodem). I have on order an external serial connected modem which I hope may solve my problem.

Am I just out of luck? I don't want to give up on Linux, I want to get rid of XP. I am able to get into the KDE Desktop with no problem, but after checking all the hardware, Linux is kindly having no problems with all my hardware, EXCEPT THE MODEM.

Am I on the right track with the external serial modem? If so, after I receive it, do I have to somehow disconnect internally the winmodem before installing the external modem? This is all new to me and I would appreciate any help from anyone out there.

Kind Regards,

Bob

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Yes, you should replace the modem. Linux uses the bios for hardware. If the device does't show up in the bios, it most likely won't work in linux, at least not without some effort. A winmodem uses the cpu processor to simulate a piece of hardware. That is why you will find two devices installed in widows, a modem and an emulator, in order for the device to work. There are printers and scanners that do the same thing. So get pieces that are not windependent.

Actually, Linux tends to explicitly ignore what the BIOS tells it, and deals with the hardware itself. It'd be more correct to say there's a considerably higher chance of hardware working on Linux if all the necessary hardware, firmware and software for the device to work are present within the device itself; in other words, as you said, hardware that relies on the software running on the host machine to do some of the work for it is less likely to work under Linux, with winmodems being the most notorious problem. It really doesn't have anything to do with 'the BIOS', though.

You _can_ make most winmodems work, in the end, but it's one of those things that is just likely to cause you frustration upon frustration. You've definitely picked the right course of action; a true external modem will work right away and will keep on working, you'll never have to worry about it.

You don't have to 'disconnect' the winmodem, but to be clean, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS. If you don't do this, though, it shouldn't really cause a problem.

I was over-simplifying. My point is precisely that if the bios sees it, linux sees it. If the bios does not see it, then there may be issues. I have found that simply using the bios model is easier to understand. Most folks want it to work and not choose a career in hardware development. There are less techno geeks the more general public that uses linux, a positive trend!

Just out of interest, will a US Robotics internal PCI modem work with Linux 10.1?

I've not tried, but I know it told me to visit linmodem.org or something when I first installed Linux. Since I use broadband, I've never had to use the modem, but I'm sure there will be a point in time that I will.

Actually, Linux tends to explicitly ignore what the BIOS tells it, and deals with the hardware itself. It'd be more correct to say there's a considerably higher chance of hardware working on Linux if all the necessary hardware, firmware and software for the device to work are present within the device itself; in other words, as you said, hardware that relies on the software running on the host machine to do some of the work for it is less likely to work under Linux, with winmodems being the most notorious problem. It really doesn't have anything to do with 'the BIOS', though.

You _can_ make most winmodems work, in the end, but it's one of those things that is just likely to cause you frustration upon frustration. You've definitely picked the right course of action; a true external modem will work right away and will keep on working, you'll never have to worry about it.

You don't have to 'disconnect' the winmodem, but to be clean, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS. If you don't do this, though, it shouldn't really cause a problem.

]I really appreciate all the feedback.  Here is what I have on order.  The modem is (1x Best Data 56k V.92 Data/Fax Ext. Serial Modem 56SX-92).  It is definitely not a winmodem.  Any ideas if I am on the right track with this modem?  Also, in my BIOS, where do I go in order to disable the winmodem?  Should I wait until AFTER I install the external modem, drivers, etc. before disabling the winmodem? 

Thanks Kindly,

Bob

As long as you see this:

"Controller-based modem"

You really should have no problem.

I'm not totally familiar with BestData modems (I used a Creative ModemBlaster External Serial modem and it was amazing. I got better dialup speed with it even in Windows and it was way more stable, also even in Windows), but for the price, I think you can afford to try it.

I don't have the machine near me, but I believe it's a USR Internal PCI WinModem.

I checked the link that was left by adolfix and it says "No Available Status". So am assuming that this modem is not supported?