Can't reboot and ....

Pepse

OK, I tried to install the latest drivers for my nVidia GeForce 2 vid card (4191 drivers). First I downloaded the tar.gz and then the rpm's. Anyway after trying to install the tar.gz (with help from the man from nVidia) I thought I had the right stuff when I went to XFdrake and changed the driver to Nvidia GeForce (fbdev) (( i don't recall that driver listed on initial loading on MDK 9)). So, for reasons I can't remember I decided to reboot to get the driver to activate. On reboot I got this error:

Unmounting NFS Filesystems: Cannot mountprog RPC: Program not registered.

Unmount 2: Device or resource busy.

Unmount: /net: device is busy

So, anyway I really can't shutdown or reboot because of this problem, and of course I can't figure out how to install the tar.gz's or rpms thru a terminal. I did go to Konqueror and dbl clicked on the rpms and it apparently loaded the but there is nothing new in XFdrake. Earlier I downloaded the 3123 rpms and when I was able to reboot I got an nVidia screen momentarily; so something is installed but I don't know what.

Any ideas on either prob?? I went to Linux Newbie Help Files and couldn't find anything useful for the nVidia stuff.

Later. Pepse.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have already installed something with rpm go into console and use the command urpme <filename> or rpm -e <filename>. (Read the man pages if in doubt). What did you install with tar.gz? That may be more difficult to remove but it's possible. Once that's done, read the tutorials in the installation and hardware sections at the top of the page for installing Nvidia drivers and the one below for urpmi in installation. You will need to ask for help in getting rid of the tar.gz files since I can't help you with that. Even though you believe your Xfree file is trashed, back it up anyway.

Counterspy

The Nvidia rpm's will ask you permission to remove conflicting files, even if they are older or newer Nvidia files. So, use an Nvidia rpm to remove all traces of the tar files. I would use an older one to revert backwards. In reading your post, I am not sure I understand what you did to install the files originally. Get your gui working again, and come back here so we can walk you through building your drivers from the .src files.

(rpmbuild --rebuild)

(urpmi /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/*.rpm)

ok...Hmmm..I'm confused :roll: What does NFS, /net, and RPC have to do with a video driver, or XF86Config file?

Never install nvidia drivers in X! (although I have done it without any probs)

Always;

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.mine (or something)

The easiest way to get X back to normal is to change the "nvidia" to "nv", and # out the Load "glx" line. This of course is if X was already working and using the nv XFree86 driver.

As far as the NFS prob...I'd suggest turning this off at boot so that you can figure out what's going on. What does /var/log/messages say, or any /var/log/xxx for that matter? also see if ~/.xsession-errors says anything. Oh, and /var/log/XFree86.0.log or .9.log.

chkconfig netfs off

The problem you have on shutdown is a common one on LM9.0. Someone posted a "real" solution to the problem. It involves loading up one of the system services sooner (I don't remember the specifics). The "kluge" workaround is to disable APMD.

Glitz.

First of all let me repeat on thing. I abhor "X". Other than that I'll try to tell you what happened. I went to nVidia's site and downloaded the GLX rpm for the "2960" driver and the kernel rpm for the same (2960). I did this because I seen something about needing to download them files. OK, I did and then went to Konqueror and dbl clkd on the rpm's and it took me to "Kpackage" and I clkd "install", and it did. I did the same for the 2960 rpm. It was then I noticed the big lime green and white nVidia logo when I rebooted. Then I seen somewhere to download the "3123" tar.gz files; I did. Then I printed out the man pages and went to the section for downloading tars. Well I tried and nothing happened. Then on nVidia's site I noticed the newer 4191 files so I downloaded them. I then used the nVidia man to install the 4191 files as such:

tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.tar.gz .

I then get an error of:

tar (child) : NVIDIA_kernel-1.0_4191.tar.gzz: cannot open: No such file or directory .

tar (child( error is not recoverable exiting now

Child returned status 2

Error exit delayed from previous errors.

I deleted the 2960 and 3123 files. I did install the "4191" rpm's and nothing unusual happened. Actually nothing happened.

bvc, the NFS stuff showed up after trying various things pertaining to the nVidia stuff. nVidia recommends I exit the X server and set my default runlevel to boot to console and not start up X.

Counterspy, I will try those after I get done here.

Ixthusdan, the items in parenthesis, should I use them now or???

Glitz, should I type "kluge" in a search on this board to get the answers to your comment??

Later. Pepse.

You may have a slight mess, but that's what makes it fun!!! 8)

I like to do it this way:

Make a folder called NVIDIA in /home/yourusername

Go to Nvidia download sight and get both the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-xxx.src.rpm and the NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-xxx.src.rpm.

Make sure the xxx's match and put the in /home/yourusername/NVIDIA

Open a console

su and passsword

navigate to /etc/inittab

type "mc"

hit F4

go down to the line that reads id:5:initdefault:

change the 5 to a 3

hit F2, yes

hit f10, and F10

type exit

reboot to console mode

type your user and password

type cd /home/yourusername/NVIDIA

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-xxx.src.rpm

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-xxx.src.rpm

su and password

type urpmi /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/*.rpm

If there are no errors in any steps, you are almost done.

Make sure you have the changes made in your XF86Config-4 file

Go back to the /etc/inittab and change 3 back to 5.

Reboot.

To do file steps< I like Midnight Commander, mc, because I am a gui person and it is a sort of dosshell type program, if you are from the DOS days. It is easy to use.

Ixthusdan, Well, first and worst; I went to konsole amd logged in and then typed: /etc/inittab and got a reply of: bash: /etc/inittab: Permission denied . Your move. Second, at the end of your post you mention "To do file steps< I like Midnight Commander, mc, because I am a GUI person and it is sort of dosshell type program, blah, blah, blah . If you are talking of this whole Konsole thing and such I understand it (yeah I'm from the dos days; a sreamin' 80286/16 with 1meg of ram, oh yeah).

Later. Pepse.

I don't mind this too much; I gotta learn the inner workings, too.

The enter key moves into a directory, or it moves out of the directory if you are at the top of the listing.

Highlight the file and hit F4 for edit.

F2 will save.

Sorry, I believe I was too much in a hurry to explain more details. I use Midnight Commander for editing files.

In konsole, navigate to /etc. The next move must be a file editor, because inittab is a file. There are other editors, but you might like the almost graphic qualities of Midnight Commander.

OK, it was good and it was bad. First the good news. I went thru Ixthusdan's "plan" and most everything worked. It loaded the "rpms", but then when I went to urpmi /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/*.rpm it came back with:

installing /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4192.i586.rpm /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i586.rpm

Preparing... ******************************************************

Installation failed: package NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191 is already installed

So, is that good or not?? Then I went back to /inittab/ and changed the value 3 back to 5; no problem. Then I went to kedit/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and looked at the "module" and it shows: load 'glx' # 3d layer . Then I went to the drivers part and changed 'nv' to 'nvidia' and saved it.Then I went back to root and got this stuff:

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

[root@localhost me]# Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.

kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.

kdeinit: exit.

I don't know what's going on. I went to XFdrake and there are no new drivers for nVidia. I did reboot the computer.

Later. Pepse.

I just noticed when I went back to kdeit under Section 'device' it shows:

Identifier 'devicel'

VendorName 'nVidia Corporation'

Boardname 'NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic) ((what I installed on initial load of MDK9))

Driver 'nvidia' ((what I changed it to from 'nv' ))

Option 'DPMS'

Later. Pepse.

So, is that good or not??
Not good!

In a term, su as root and type;

rpm -ql NVIDIA_GLX

[root@localhost root]# rpm -ql NVIDIA_GLX

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.4191

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1.0.4191

/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4191

/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.4191

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/NVIDIA_Changelog

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.DE

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/XF86Config.sample

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/gl.h

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glx.h

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glxtokens.h

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/license.txt

[root@localhost root]#

You can see I have the 4191 installed. You need to clean your sys of everything NVIDIA...GLX and kernel, before you attempt to install. So first, do the basics

rpm -ef --nodeps NVIDIA_GLX

rpm -ef --nodeps NVIDIA_kernel

then I'd suggest locate or what I use slocate. These will help especially if there's anything left from the tarballs you installed...I'd suggest staying away from tarballs with something like video drivers, unless you enjoy this sort of thing. :wink:

[root@localhost root]# slocate nvidia

/dev/nvidiactl

/dev/nvidia0

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/vidix/nvidia_vid.la

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/vidix/nvidia_vid.so

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/mini/HOWTO/mini/Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration/instnvidia.html

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/mini/Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration/instnvidia.html

/proc/driver/nvidia

/proc/driver/nvidia/version

/proc/driver/nvidia/cards

/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0

/proc/driver/nvidia/agp

/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge

[root@localhost root]#

DON'T REMOVE THESE or anything thing else that may be from another pkg.

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/vidix/nvidia_vid.la

/usr/lib/xine/plugins/vidix/nvidia_vid.so

[root@localhost root]# slocate NVIDIA

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.4191

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/NVIDIA_Changelog

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.DE

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/XF86Config.sample

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/license.txt

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glxtokens.h

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/gl.h

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glx.h

/home/src/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm

/home/src/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm

/home/kernel/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i686.rpm

/home/kernel/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i686.rpm

/home/kernel/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i586.rpm

/home/kernel/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i586.rpm

[root@localhost root]#

After everything is removed proceed with installing.

You may be able to corect this with just one more excursion into your system.

As su and using mc (because I like it!)

navigate to

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions

There should be a file called libglx.so.0.1.4191

There is also a symbolic link called libglx.so

Make sure the link is pointing to your 4191 file, and not somewhere into imagination. (If the link shows up red, it is broken) Or the link might be missing.

If it is wrong, ( or missing) delete it, and type

ln -s libglx.so.1.0.4191 libglx.so

It also doesn't hurt to type the full path of this file into XF86Config-4. Where the LOAD glx line is, Change it to

LOAD "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

The install should do all this, but in my system the 4191 driver didn't, and I had to edit manually.