konqueror

Gowator

Is it just me...

i often have a directory of jpegs and set the thumbnail on but only 90% thumbnail... it seems that it is when I interupt the inital indexing but they stubbornly sit there and if I open them they work they just don't thumbnail!

It may be you need to change the setting in configure your desktop -> components -> file manager -> Previews & Meta-data. Adjust the slider to higher than its default value e.g. 20mbs and also enable -> Increase size of previews relative to icons.

Click on apply and you should be good to go.

Cheers. John.

OK, sounds like its not just me then :D

Weird thing is my TIFF's from my digital camera are 30MB each and these seem to work (although they have an embedded thumbnail) but the jpegs from my point and shoot weigh in less than 1MB ... perhaps its different by image type though so Ill check and see tonight....

hope its that simple... :D its been frustrating me for years! (well since KDE 3)

Actually I have loads of scanned images of my photo work (I am also a professional photographer) that are up to 40mbs and I have always set the slider to 45mbs ever since I can remember. I don't use embedded thumbnails so I occassionally have to clean out the hidden folder of thumbnails. At one time it contained 640mbs and I only found it out when I found root to be full.

I never have trouble with thumbnails not showing up. I have found that if you interrupt konqueror while it is opening up a folder of images that it will stop thumbnailing at the point you interrupt however the non thumbnailed files will still open when clicked on.

I have always regarded this as a usual and not a fault because it has been that way for years.

Cheers. John.

Nope thats exactly it.....

If I interrupt them when the thumbnails are being generated they never generate... I was hoping there is a way to kick em off again!

The Nikon .nef have the thumbnail enmbedded and its the equivalant of a pre-processed roll. You have to apply white balance and colour temp corrections and exposure. I have to use some 3rd Party SW since Nikons SW won't run in Wine.

(You might like to try the demo www.bibblelabs.com )

Its not photoshop its basically 'development' software. You can batch process too (like sticking a roll in for E45)

i switched from kde to gnome e.g. because of images that did not get thumbnailed in konq (even after tweaking konq to its max). and it was frustrating to have 30+ pictures not being properly displayed from the canon eos-1d, while the deadline for the press-print was getting closer and closer all the time. and starting my old windows-laptop was not really what i wanted to do everytime a picture wasn't displayed properly.

gowator, maybe you should try a gnome-based live cd only in order to check if all of your pictures will load in nautilus. ;)

gowator, maybe you should try a gnome-based live cd only in order to check if all of your pictures will load in nautilus. ;)

They do, Im running Ubuntu at the moment... its just easy for file management..

I can process em OK but i just want to display the darn things as thumnails... I can make thumnail galleries etc.

agggh

Seems like a caching bug - I noticed the same when I deleted some numbered pics and renamed the remainder into sequence. The thumbnails stayed cached (from the now-deleted pics) even though clicking on them brought up the new pics. There didn't seem to be an obvious way to clear and refresh the cache.

I guess this is the same problem - the thumbnail generation was interrupted and the incomplete version is cached and kept.

The thumbnail cache is a hidden file in your home account = .thumbnails/normal/.

Go into it and delete all the thumbnails and then go back to your images file and let it regenerate all the thumbnails again but do not interrupt the process until all thumbnails have been created.

Frankly you need to empty this cache occassionally. One time I discovered that I had 680mbs of thumbnails from all my graphics activity. There were hordes of stuff for images I no longer had on my computer. They had just kept accumulating.

Cheers. John.