Please resurrect my laptop

Thanks!

The lappy is now in the hands of the college IT guys. They didn't look hopeful about it, but they are at least getting the data off the harddrive. They've already pulled off one miracle with this machine about a year ago, here's hoping they can do it again.

If you do buy a HDD enclosure be sure to get the right kind.

I went out and bought one, after being assured it would work by a customer service. Got home, opened the box, looked inside the enclosure, sealed the box back up and returned the enclosure. The enclosure had a mini IDE like cable to plug into the hdd. However my laptop hdd looks more like a parallel (sp?) cable end, only 1/3 the size. Not the end that goes into the pc but the end going to the printer.

Got the enclosure to create a linux partition and copy the mandrake cd's to the hdd so i could do a hdd install. My laptop's cdrom doesn't like cd at all, Manufactured or burned.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it back from the college IT people - they managed to get the data off it (phew) but no joy with the lappy itself. They tried different ram, mine in another machine, and the ram is fine.

Looking back on this thread, I'm not sure I did actually unplug the cmos battery - I've been googling, and it seems to be a green caterpillar-shaped thing. I've looked in the laptop but can't find anything that looks like that. Where is it in the laptop?