CPUFREQ fails to run

ianw1974

I recently changed from 10.0 Official to 10.1 Official on my laptop (just to see if it was any better). I didn't upgrade, I decided to do a complete new install.

What I have found since, is that during boot-up, towards the end (before switching into xorg and the KDE Desktop manager), is that I notice two failed errors. On checking the boot.log file I noticed that I have the following entries:

cpufreq: Probing cpufreq modules

cpufreq: failed

cpufreq: ^[[65G

cpufreq: [^[[1;31m

cpufreq:

rc: Starting cpufreq: failed

Is there any way I can find out why this is failing and/or disabling it from running in the first place? I did apply all Normal and Security updates (although I've not applied the bug-fixes as of yet).

I don't expect it's having any direct effect on the running ability of my machine (and it is running fine!). Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Guest MandrNew

I have this problem, too. I stop from boot pufreq, and now I have no messagge error (it doesn't load), but why I have this error ?

Why pufreq is loaded at boot from Mandriva ? What's his function ?

From a quick google search, I can only gather that it allows you to alter the CPU frequency on the fly.

The quote was " Clock scaling allows you to change the clock speed of the running CPU on the fly. This is a nice method to save battery power, because the lower the clock speed, the less power the CPU consumes."

So, if you run from battery quite a lot, then this would help conserve power. I don't tend to for very long periods, so am happy with CPUFREQ being disabled. :D

Edited by ianw1974

It's basically the Linux implementation of SpeedStep, PowerNow! and whatever other brands the CPU companies dream up for dynamic CPU clock / voltage scaling. It does what Ian says, but it's not just about letting _you_ change the speed, it's a little more than that - it's supposed to let the system intelligently change the speed depending on the load on the CPU. We try to detect when we're being installed on a laptop and install some laptop specific stuff - including cpufreq - in this case. I think what's happening here is that MDK knows it's being installed on a laptop and so has installed cpufreq, but your laptops do not support cpufreq properly (I can find a few Google results indicating this for the Satellite A10, try googling +"satellite a10" "cpufreq" ) so it tries to load and fails. The command I gave you just stops it trying to load cpufreq entirely, so the error is hidden.