Gnome chess, help please!

photoworks

Better yet install crafty, next best is gnuchess. Also install xboard. You can play via xboard with the command xboard -fcp <engine_name>. Engine name can be crafty, etc. Crafty can play a decent game, but if you are used to Fritz & Chessbase you will be very disappointed by the limitations on Linux. Crafty is not too bad an engine, but xboard leaves a lot to be desired. The man pages for xboard are good.

The command "xboard -fcp <engine_name>" does not work. when i type it, i got this message : "syntax error near unexpected token `newline' "

Another thing, in gnu chess, i don't know how to do caslling. Is there a specific setting you have to parameter in order to enable it ?

There's a space between the fcp and engine name. If you are using Gnuchess it's one word. Don't enter the brackets (<>) or quotes, for crafty: xboard -fcp crafty. Castling is standard, just move your King to the desired square (g1 or c1).