Xbox Live [solved]

cornish

Hello all, this is my first post so go easy on me.

I made the switch from Windows to Linux, yeah for me for being a geek, I've managed to get everything working so far that I need (nvidia drivers, adsl, divx and mp3 player) the last thing I am trying to set up is internet conenction sharing with my xbox.

I have given the eth0 a static IP

set the gateway on Xbox to this IP

set port forwarding in the Itables file.

To cut it short my xbox can get an IP see the DHCP the DNS but still fails to connect, it does mention setting the MTU to 1365 which think I have done, the only other thing I can think of is opening up some ports that XBL needs.

Has any one else had any expierence with this?

If your gateway and DHCP server is your mandrakelinux box don't fix anything in the Xbox. They will manage alone all the allocation of parameters (dynamique IP adress, gateway...).

Bye

???

Cheers for your reply, I can get the xbox to register its IP with the PC, its the next stage, flow of data to and from the XBOX.

I need to open up some ports and set the MTU on eth0

But this is all guess work, I was hoping that some one else out there uses XBL and connects to the PC via ICS

I have XBL, but I connect everything a bit differently. What you might consider, is contacting your DSL provider, and asking if they have an exterenal DSL gateway option, that is also a router. I don't know who your provider is, but there are many such devices. You can even buy them yourself at many computer stores, and they don't require any more configuration than what you've got now. Just be sure the one you get supports whatever exact connection type they're throwing at you.

In my experience, this is a much easier way to configure the connection. On the PC and Xbox, you end up with a simple direct lan to the gateway/router and it doesn't really matter how well the PC and Xbox get along. You wouldn't need a ppp0, or multiple connections, or iptable or anything special at all.

Mine (from qwest DSL) is a Netgear Wireless router, with one wired lan port. It sits in my office, connected to the PC with a cable, and connects tot he Xbox with the XBox WiFi adapter that you can get at Best Buy or anywhere else for $100

It's really a nicer way to go.

Indeed, if you can implement a router, life will be better and easier for you. The router will be the gateway and the DHCP. All your boxes will conect automatically to your network and internet.

If tge router provides WIFI too, you can install your boxex anywhere at home and with a laptop you can even go to the garden with.

Bye

I'm using xbox and Linux using the same connection. I don't understand your setup but here is mine.

DSL ---> Router --> Xbox

|

|

wireless

|

|

--> Laptop with Ubuntu Linux

If you have DSL it may require it for you to set it up as " Bridge-Mode ". I have a sprint 645 Series and my ISP is Earthlink. They gave me some instructions that I can do following telnet, and thankfully telnet is available in Linux. Then hooked up everything, set up my wireless and both work :)

Anyhow, I need to get back to my halo 2 nerd party ... hehehe

I think what he has is DSL---->internal DSL modem in linux PC -> second nic -> Xbox.

My setup is exactly like yours, except the PC is hardwired to the router, and the Xbox uses WiFi.

ADSL MODEM --------->PC----(NIC)-----Straight through cable (via hub)------>XBOX

or

Due to cable lengths I can have

ADSL MODEM --------->PC----(NIC)-----Cross over cable------>XBOX

It dosnt matter which setup I choose I still get that error message

I think I need to open some ports does any one know how to do this, dont really want to start buying new hardware,

Hi - are we going off at a tangent here...

Ignoring the XBox, have you actually set up normal internet connection sharing? You say you have allowed forwarding, but I assume you will also need to set up NAT (masquerading) - have you done this?

Try typing this as root:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

I don't have an XBox to try this with, and don't know anything about them, but this is standard network address translation stuff (assuming the XBox will need this).

Any chance of testing it with a normal PC?

The output of iptables -nvL would be useful to us.

Chris

Just to let you know that I have this working now, by entering this line in to IPTABLES

so thanks streeter.

After doing this my flatmate came home with a router under his arm, :( which has also solved all my problems.

Just to let you know that I have this working now, by entering this line in to IPTABLES

so thanks streeter.

After doing this my flatmate came home with a router under his arm, :( which has also solved all my problems.

He may have bought a router, but you learned something really cool! Not to mention that iptables (a firewall) is much safer than the simple NAT'ing a broadband router does for you... You new mission, should you choose to accept it, is to try to use both!

This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds.....