different module than video card

JonEberger

So I came by an older laptop and of course shortly it was running MDK 10.1. It's a great laptop for what I do. It's a P3-600 with (unfortunately) only 128 MB RAM. The HD is more than big enough for me to run whatever I want on this computer. It runs great with a lighter desktop and I'm trying to squeak all of the performance out of it that I can without spending any money on it.

When looking in the hardware configuration, harddrake says that the video card is a '3D Rage LT Pro AGP-133'. However MDK has loaded the ATI Mach64 Utah module. The graphics run great and I've tried other modules to load in it's stead. I don't really SEE a performance decrease. GLX gears runs about the same under both modules. Is there a performance increase to the Utah module over the Rage Pro driver? Are the proprietary drivers from ATI as worthwhile to obtain as the NVidia ones are?

Thanks,

Jon

The drivers from ati.com are for Radeons 8500 and up if I'm correct.

So I guess you already have best performance with the driver you're using now.

As to why it works with two different drivers, I don't know really.... But what the heck, as long as it works! :D