networking Linux & XP

ilia_kr

After i finally configured the network at my home, i encountered a broblem:

-from my XP box i can view and modify linux shared folders

-from linux box i can't see the XP shares altough i can see the XP host in smb4k

Can somebody help me?

First: welcome to the board.

Second, we will need more information on your set-up. How have you got your Windows shares set up and how have you set up Samba? Common problems are workgroup names and Samba users. So give us some more details on how you have configured Samba and Windows to share. Good luck.

The easyest way to acces a XP folder from a linux box is to put the folders you want to share on the shared folders section of XP.

Another recommendation is to put the two machines in the mdkgroup workgroup. It helps when you will import XP folders into linux via the samba mounting points.

Ciao.

The easyest way to acces a XP folder from a linux box is to put the folders you want to share on the shared folders section of XP.

Another recommendation is to put the two machines in the mdkgroup workgroup. It helps when you will import XP folders into linux via the samba mounting points.

Ciao.

Linux & XP are at the same workgroup "HOME", i share a 'shared documents' folder, but it still doesn't work

I've got a wireless network and on the XP machine, there's a folder "C:\mysharedmap" (name of the map doesn't matter really). Then you right-click on the folder and select "share folder and contents" somewhere. I think I used the Samba module in Yast to connect to the network, there you just specify your network name(e.g. MSHOME). However, I don't know what the corresponding configuration tool in Mandrake is.

It's so long ago though, that I don't really remember. But maybe I'll give it a go again this weekend.

On linux try smbclient -L windows_box_name. Also are you sure you have your samba users set up. It doesn't really matter how you set up your Windows folders as long as they are marked shared (also check who can share them). Have you tried to access them as Administrator? You may want to post your samba config file (/etc/samba/smb.conf).

On linux try smbclient -L windows_box_name. Also are you sure you have your samba users set up. It doesn't really matter how you set up your Windows folders as long as they are marked shared (also check who can share them). Have you tried to access them as Administrator? You may want to post your samba config file (/etc/samba/smb.conf).

What do you mean to set up samba users? Tell me more about it please.

Here my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = HOME
message command = /usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups
printer admin = @adm
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
map to guest = bad user
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
pam password change = yes
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Re*ype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n \
;*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
[print$]
  path = /var/lib/samba/printers
  browseable = yes
  write list = @adm root
  guest ok = yes
  inherit permissions = yes
[pdf-gen]
  path = /var/tmp
  guest ok = No
  printable = Yes
  comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
  printing = bsd
  printcap name = cups
  #print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf file path win_path recipient IP &
  print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf "%s" "%H" "//%L/%u" "%m" "%I" "%J" &
   lpq command = /bin/true
[ILIA_SHARE]
  path = /home/ilia/Share
  comment = /home/ilia/Share
  public = yes
  guest ok = yes
  writable = yes
  wide links = no

It seems that the smb service is not running.

Go into the Center of Control of Mandrakelinux. Then chosse System and after Services. You will find all the services intalled in your box. Look for SMB, start it up and click to start it from the starting up of your box.

Ciao

"What do you mean to set up samba users? Tell me more about it please."

Samba has its own user list, set up with smbpasswd -a <user_name> as root. That is what samba uses for authenication. These samba users have to be users on you system if I recall correctly.