South African Tax office goes Linux and OS

Gowator

Hey, gimme a break - I was working!

This is great :banana:

I dunno why they chose to go with SuSe though, but I suspect Novell fought hard for that deal. They should've been patriotic and gone with Ubuntu :cheesy:

Now lets hope they lose any record of me as a tax-payer in the changeover process :P

Actually they could have been accused of nepetism if they took a canonical maintainance contract so its 'cleaner' probably going Suse.

Besides what a company need is not the same as home users and Novel have a whole load of remote management stuff...

Actually they could have been accused of nepetism if they took a canonical maintainance contract so its 'cleaner' probably going Suse. 

Besides what a company need is not the same as home users and Novel have a whole load of remote management stuff...

Yup, I was just kidding about Ubuntu. Thank god they didn't use Impi Linux (another 'South African' distribution - but not as good).

It will be interesting to compare their experiences with SuSe to Munich's experiences with Debian after a year or so...

All that said - the final decision has not yet been made.

i guess the most important factor for choosing novell/suse is the fact that the migration might be a bit easier, as many computers already have some novell stuff for network and security running. and who knows... maybe they already have contracts running with novell and loved what they saw?

anyway... always better than switching to a windows server. ;)

Edited by arctic

Does this mean the cost savings they'll get will be deducted from SoulSe's tax bill? ;)

They had better! Need more money for :beer:

Side Note: I also respect Novell, but I lost a lot of that respect after they took over Ximian and proceeded to wreck Evolution - it went from an awesome Outlook-beater to becomming a convoluted and horrible app.