Copy hard drive to new drive with Acronis

eppoh

Has anyone had any luck copying a drive with dual boot Win98 and Mdk9 using Acronis Partition expert or Migrate easy? Both claim to handle any Linux partition, but neither has worked for me.

I need to both my PC's upgraded with new drives as simply as possible sithout reinstalling anything

I do not about Acronis, but I do know that Norton Ghost or Powerquest DriveImage will do what you want. They are both Windows programs and obviously you need to by them. They are installed to floppies to do their job so you can get them from a friend or from the man in the brown fedora and tan raincoat...

Counterspy

I have a dumb question. I don't have a burner on my Linux box, but there is one on my Win98SE box networked to it. Is it possible to write to the CD burner downstairs as long as I give myself write privileges to that share? If so, can I use partimage to backup partitions from my Linux box (no burner) to the Windows burner downstairs?

• 1 month later...
Guest GorGor

Steve

can't help you on the network cos I don't have one.

HOWEVER, I use partimage with no cdburner. You have to trust your hd won't fail.

I have a partition set up called (say) /images

This is always left unformatted if I install a new Mdk version.

roughly 1 G of data is compressed to 340 Mb.

If you are interested I could waffle on more. heh heh

Ehm, maybe I'm missing something, but I have managed to copy win98se to a second hd just by copying all files, under win98. You should just omit the swap file, on the c: dir.

That said, what's against just creating partitions on the new drive and copying everything over there whilst under mdk9.0?

Make sure you put win on the first, let's say hdb1 (must be primary), and linux any way you want, but modify the /etc/fstab to point to the right partitions.

If you have the same partition layout (hd numbering), but just larger partitions for /home for instance, you won't even have to change /etc/fstab, just make sure you have a bootfloppy, copy the partition info and swap the drives.

Then you have to reinstall (or install, since it was never there) lilo; boot with bootflop and run lilo.

Oh btw, you may want to check the correct options when you copy the files from one partition to another (cp -pax has been mentioned).

Guest Cyclops

Hello, eppoh - I've used Acronis TrueImage to image and restore hundreds of Linux ext3 partitions and have never had a failure on the imaging, or restoration process. However, I've never tried Acronis Partition Expert.