2GB RAM problem

Guest Jorem

I am using the 2.6.11-6 kernel and I have Corsair Twinex 1Gb and it reads as 1.011.45 Gb.

I have not needed to go to the -up-1Gb or the -up- 4Gb kernels.

When I was using the 2.6.8 kernel, my readings were correct as well so I think later kernels have the necessary correction.  With earlier kernels it read approx. 890Mb

I have not compiled the kernels by the way.

I have successfully completed a total upgrade  by way of easy-urpmi, to Mandriva 2005 and without a major hitch (or even a minor one either).

Cheers.                      John

my Mandrake 10.1 OE with kernel 2.6.11-6mdk i686 only detect 890Mb for my 1GB RAM,

then I try to change manually my RAM Size from MCC to 1024M.

Is it worth ??

That ram figure in MCC Boot is always wrong.

Look in MCC Hardware and there it will show the correct value for each memory stick. This may not be detected values but rather the identifying values read from the memory sticks.

Not quite sure on that.

However I believe that looking in KDE Control Centre ---> Information ---> Memory will give the correct value. It is here that I have always seen the reflected changes by the different kernels handling of memory whereas the MCC Boot figure shown has basically never changed.

I have more faith in the KDE given value than I have in the Mandrake/Mandriva value.

I could be wrong since I am not a computer engineer but in this case I feel I am not.

I think you will find that kde will show the 1Gb value on your machine as well.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

If we're talking about the same thing, the memory option in the MDV boot configurator isn't intended to *tell* you how much memory you have - it sets the mem= kernel parameter, which manually tells the kernel how much memory you have (or want it to think you have). This is useful if the kernel detects your memory wrong (occasionally happens, I hear) or for testing how something works with low memory if you have a very powerful machine (for e.g. you develop on a 2GB monster but you want to know how your DE / app / whatever works for someone with 128MB).