Dual-Monitor Issues

mada726

Hey there, people.

I've recently installed Mandriva (aka Mandrake) Linux on my computer systemm. I have a Dual-Boot Configuration with Windoze XP Pro SP2. My computer's specifications goes as follows:

- Intel D850GB Mainboard

- Intel P4 Proc at 1.4Ghz

- 256 MB RDRAM

- 16X LG DVD-ROM drive (equiv. to 48x MAX CD-ROM)

- LG GSA-4163B Dual-Layer DVD Writer 16x

- 120 GB Western Digital Hard Drive, 7200RPM 8MB Cache (currently occupied by Windoze XP)

- 30GB Quantum Maxtor Fireball Hard Drive, 7200RPM 2MB Cache (currently occupied by Mandriva)

- Nvidia RIVA TNT2 AGP Video Card at 32MB (Video Card 1)

- Nvidia RIVA TNT2 PCI Video card at 16MB (Video Card 2)

The problem is about configuring my dual-display issues. I have a dual-display system set up in my Mandriva system. I have two monitors for my system. The First Monitor that I have is an 17" NEC MutliSync 75 CRT Monitor (about 5 yrs. old). The second monitor that I have is a 14 (or 15) " Daewoo Monitor (don't know what exact model is, but it's about 15 yrs. old). When I finally ran Mandriva for the first time, My Primary Display is my Daewoo Monitor, which is connected to my Video Card 2. My Daewoo Monitor can handle up to 800x600 resolution. I want to set up my NEC MultiSync 75 Monitor to be the primary display/Primary video card (not the secondary one as it went as planned) and my Daewoo Monitor to be a secondary display.

Enclosed is some two screenshots to better diagnose the problem and I apologise for the constrains for my screenshots. I hope you can understand it.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

post-10890-1114293070_thumb.jpgpost-10890-1114293087_thumb.jpg

Here's what I did:

1) I logged in as root and open the XFree86 file (don't know where it was located).

2) Modified the section where the monitor and display adapters are.

3) Edited the file

4) Fiddled around with the monitor settings.

5) Saved the file.

6) Restarted "X".

After proper and dedicate configurations, I have finally adjusted my NEC Multisync 75 17" monitor as my primary display and my Daewoo a secondary one. I was happy for a while, but when I tried to change the desktop background in the KDE Desktop Environment, I don't see the "apply" or "cancel" buttons on my screen. I changed to GNOME and it seems to be OK. They are a few dents to the part on changing the background on the KDE desktop environment. Anyway, any suggestions? Sorry if I changed the subject.......

hth.