Which Mandrake version was the best one?

arctic

Which Mandrake release was the best release in your opinion?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mandrake release was the best release in your opinion?

• Mandrake 10.X series (not including 10.2RC/LE2005)
    • Mandrake 9.X series
    • Mandrake 8.X series
    • I don't have a favorite
    • Other

now that Mandrakelinux merged with Conectiva, i am just curious about your opinion on the job done by Mandrake during the last years. as i have heard several different answers when discussing support and stability of good old Mandrake ("this worked better in 9.1" "no, 10.0 was better in this respect"), i would like to know, which release series is your all time favorite.

sadly, the maximum number of answers is limited to five. thus i had to group them a bit together... and i think, it would be unfair to throw LE2005/10.2RC into the mix (still too young for evaluation). oh.. and in case you still use the 7.X series of older versions... they are counted as "other", of course. ;)

my vote goes to 10.1. everything worked out of the box for me, the number of bugs i encountered was absolutely minimal and never system critical and it worked like a charm on my lappy, too, thus it will stay on the machine for quite a long time. and my main desktop computer is rock stable. i really can't ask for more. :)

grouping them up like that doesn't really work very well, as whether a release is X.number or Y.0 isn't really hugely important in MDV and tends to get decided near the end of development on a 'whatever seems good' basis, so you can easily get more difference between .1 and .2 than between .2 and .0. For e.g., I'd pick 9.1 as my favouritest release ever, but 9.0 was frankly a bit pants and 9.2 was average, so where does that leave me?

Anyway, as I said, if I have to pick a single release, 9.1. Other great releases - 10.0, 8.2. Average releases - 8.1, 9.2 (let's ignore the LG fiasco for now), 10.1 (out of the box it was just a bit too buggy, with all the updates it's pretty solid). Bottom - 9.0. 10.2 is too early to tell, and I don't go back before 8.1 :)

I agree with adamw but I voted other.

For me 7.0 was a benchmark Mandrake release where it distinguished itself above RH.

RH wass still struggling on changling the glibc libs over but Mandrake got it right first time...

Of course they get better and better but then so does everything else so I am voting for this because it was a release that put Mandrake ahead of competition

I don't feel they have that anymore... The 9.x 64 bit ws a chance to actually wipe the board ... not other distro's but of windows which had no chance to compete but it ended up being half cocked and Mandrake lost the opportunity.

For actually working and usability out of the box (since there was very little to add 64 bit at the time) Suse won hands down.... I don't like Suse but it worked and Mandrake didn't (and was 6-8x more expensive to get the samne media support) (DVD+CD's in 32 and 64

This position is still somewhat open (IMHO) as no distro has really got it mastered but Gentoo is very close and I hear but haven't tried FC is very good.

Whoever gets this market first will be on top for some time as the RPM's/debs/tgz's whatever will become the defacto amd64 apps....

edits this is being written from Ubuntu 64.....

9.1 was good and I liked it, it was also my first Linux distro,

9.2 was very buggy for me and I ditched Linux,

10.0 CE brought me back.

10.0 OE had less bugs than CE and generally was more stable, proved to be a good workstation OS,

10.1 OE (didn't use CE) was with far less post-first_install bugs than all others and is the most stable and bugfree for me.

so I voted 10.x

Guest Adriano1

I started with 8.0, loved 8.2 for its stability and 9.2 for its coolness. I really look back to that wallpaper with fond memories. Especially with *cough* the current one *cough*

so i've been using mandrake since 7.0. which i'll agree with an above post that it settled mandrake above others. several of us in a csc dept. got hooked on it then over and above redhat and many of us still use it.

8.2 was a fantastic release. it was stable, had everything i wanted and sound worked for me the first time out of the box in linux. :-) (ah the memories and the frustration.) when 9.0 we jumped on it. used it for a while and then jumped back to 8.2. i ran 8.2 for quite awhile on my office machine during my m.s.

9.0 was flakey, but 9.1 was awesome. USB support became at least twice as good and when i plugged in my usb drive or my camera, mdk saw it. rockin'! i was stoked. at this point, linux was getting good enough that GOOD office apps came out. 9.2 took forver to come out and blew chunks at me everytime i tried to use it. i went to fedora core and mdk 9.1 (back and forth) during this time.

when 10.0 came out I was very impressed. it ran smoothly and installed quickly and easily. it was hailed by many as the first REAL linux alternative to windows. i believe it. i ran it from the day it came out until 10.1 ce came out. i ran ce for quite awhile as well. it is still on an older laptop and runs amazingly well. but it was just buggy enough on some hardware (my desktop and my wife's laptop) that we both went back to 10.0. but when the oe came out, i was blown away. i still am. i've gone around to two or three different distros and always come back to mandrake. i can easily make the install as big or small as i want. urpmi is afantastic tool and i have so much control over what occurs that my computer runs like i want it to. that's why i voted for the 10.0 series.

i believe that if someone was willing to try linux, they could survive as well on mdk10.1 as they have on windows xp. i truly hope that mandriva doesn't screw with a policy of releasing a distribution which makes confident and capable strides forward for linux newbs, the average capable cmoputer-savvy user, and the linux elite alike.

Edited by JonEberger

steve: well it wasn't technically our fault, no, it was LG's for using stupid firmware calls, but still, end result is MDK Nukes CD Drive, which was not good. What was really odd though was that _it never got reported_ in the beta stages. I'm sure someone with an LG CD drive must have installed one of those betas...maybe they were too busy trying to get it fixed to tell us what happened. :)

The nuking-Windows-boot thing was actually a similar situation, it was an upstream problem that happened in other distros too (Fedora did the same, IIRC). To be fair, though, I think there _was_ a bug report about that before the final came out, so yeah, maybe that can be seen as more serious. In the end, though, didn't it turn out the boot wasn't nuked, you just had to change a BIOS setting? Ah well. Memories. :)

Guest Adriano1

If your distro requires many of your customers to get the computer to tech support, it's got _serious_ problems. Nevermind the problem could be solved in the bios: It's not good enough.

This is something Mandriva would do well repeating over and over. Write 100 times on the (chalk)board: "I shall test my distro better. I shall try to close the bugs."