win4lin enabled kernel

Does someone knows about a win4lin enabled kernel for the 2.6.11.7 version or how to build one?

I begin to get some success running directx with win4lin, win me and wine, but I need this version for my tests. Netraverse is still at 2.6.8 and don't promise a new one soon.

Thanks for help.

Check out the Win4Lin mailing list:

win4lin-users@netraverse.com

There's been discussion there lately about 'unofficial' patches for kernels all the way up to 2.6.12-rc2. Should be some stuff to help you out. Win4Lin has been so busy working on Win4LinPro (and making major strides with it using KQEMU) that they're not quite as up on their kernel patches as they usually are.

But you've gotta be kidding about getting DirectX working...no such thing...

Yeah, 2d direct X works with rpetty much everything, including, wine for the last couple years, as does DirectX Sound.  It's that DirectX 3d that only comes with Cedega.

Agree, but the case I'm trying is the scale model simulator IPACS Aerofly Pro that uses opengl and directx:

I use win4lin with win ME to install the prog, since the installer hangs with wine.

I've set up the fake win directories as symlinks to the win4lin win installation to allow acces to all native win dlls. This is a kind of wine with win config.

Starting the sim in win4lin is very choppy, as expected because win4lin doen't support directx.

So then I start the sim with wine, and it works smoothly at 180 fps with an nvidia FX 5700 card.

Quite nice.

This worked fine in mdk 9.2 and 10.1. But with 10.2 the win4lin kernel at 2.6.8.1-03 causes problems with dkms for setting up the nvidia driver and is unstable with kde 3.3, that causes problems with the filesystem after some window hang. :juggle:

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider at leaqst trying cedega for that. It's also payware, but very inexpensive, as litle as $15 if you don't ever want updates, and it's MUCH simpler. It's doesn't require a windows install and it doesn't require a special kernel.

Personaly, I've never actualy used win4lin, because it's simply too much trouble to deal with.