Howto: Mandriva 2005 LE + ivtv

devries

MandrivaLinux comes with the ivtv driver for the popular Hauppauge WinTV PVR cards, precompiled. However the setup of the module is not straightforward and that's why I wrote this HOWTO:

-1- To begin with you need to install the firmware of the card (Mandriva uses urpmi to install software. Read the FAQs). There are rpm packages at PLF and at Thac's. You can install the firmware with: urpmi ivtv-firmware.

-2- Open a console and log in as root and type: vi /etc/modprobe.conf and remove from the line: options ivtv everything except 'options ivtv' (I removed for example radio=0 and card). Save and exit the file.

-3- Open the Mandriva Control Center, hardware, hardware (note: do not click on the TV card icon) and select the tv card. Click on 'configure module' and empty every field. Now fill in the tuner number (mine is for example 29. If you do not know yours, download the ivtv driver (link) and look in the tuner.h file in the drivers folder and choose the most appopriate). Now click ok.

-4- Click on 'start config program', change the user to root, choose the region etcetc. and click ok. That was it. You can now watch TV :). Open a console and type: mplayer /dev/video0 to see for your self

PS: somethings were translated from Dutch so actual wording can be a bit different.

PPS: If you use Freevo: Mandriva broke it so you can't use it to watch TV. In the meantime till it gets fixed you can watch TV with mplayer and change channels with ptune-ui.pl and record with record-v4l2.pl (get it from the ivtv tar).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It shouldn't matter. What do you get from mplayer /dev/video0 ?

Nothing but static. I've tried scanning for channels in MythTV to no luck. I can't even get it to find channels 3 and 4. I had everything up and running about a week ago, but then I lost it. I've started over twice now (complete format). At my wit's end with this thing and contemplating Windows.

Edited by UponFirstListen

:thumbs: Hey, I just figured it out tonight.  I added the following lines in /etc/modprobe.conf

options bt878 card= tuner=50 gbuffers=4

options bttv radio=0 card=10 tuner=50 gbuffers=4

I restarted Mandriva 2006 and then launched KDETv and scanned for US-Cable with NTSC and it found all of my channels.

sometimes the GUI for this doesn't open doing it manually works

try these as root

unload:

rmmod bttv

rmmod tuner

load:

modprobe bttv card=X tuner=X fyi (my-X=26)(my-x=39)

check for errors/ confirm settings:

dmesg

make sure new settings are reported

card /tuner list should/could be located :

/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-6mdk/Documentation/video4linux (if you have the kernel source installed )

CARDLIST.bttv CARDLIST.tuner

Did the above and now I can't find any channels in MythTV when I scan for them. Also, what was once a static-y buy quasi-visible image during mplayer /dev/video is nothing but static now. I've done all the research on the channel frequencies and even tried manually adding the channels, again to very little effect. I've also tried us-cable and us-cable-hrc with varying options but still can't seem to get the right picture on the screen. I'm now using ivtv-0.4.0 and am following this

guide. Not sure what else to provide you with.

Thats for TV cards that use the bttv chip. The PVR WinTV cards use a different chip.

The Wiki says to build your own ivtv module That shouldnt be neccesary. Further xawtv and kdetv dont work with the PVR WinTV cards. You need Mythtv (or Freevo).

(more later. Now I ve to boot into KDE 3.5 :) )

Now in KDE 3.5 and found out kicker transparancy doesn't work :( (have to edit a config file) but that aside, in the ivtv tar there should be a small program that let's you tune the frequencies. After that thest with mplayer /dev/video0. (in mythtv-setup you can fill in the freqiencies by hand (in khz). If all that doesn't work note down the exact name of the chip on your card and use Google to see if other people have the same problem.

• 1 month later...
MandrivaLinux comes with the ivtv driver for the popular Hauppauge WinTV PVR cards, precompiled. However the setup of the module is not straightforward and that's why I wrote this HOWTO:

-1- To begin with you need to install the firmware of the card (Mandriva uses urpmi to install software. Read the FAQs). There are rpm packages at PLF and at Thac's. You can install the firmware with: urpmi ivtv-firmware.

-2- Open a console and log in as root and type: vi /etc/modprobe.conf and remove from the line: options ivtv everything except 'options ivtv' (I removed for example radio=0 and card). Save and exit the file.

step1: ok

step2: there's no such an option. Here's my /etc/modprobe.conf

# This file is autogenerated from /etc/modules.conf using generate-modprobe.conf command

alias eth0 sk98lin

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe sata_promise; /bin/true

remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/true

alias eth1 eth1394

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394

install snd-via82xx-modem /bin/true

install snd-intel8x0m /bin/true

install snd-atiixp-modem /bin/true

alias /dev/ttySHSF[0-9]* /dev/ttySHSF

alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF

alias char-major-241 /dev/ttySHSF

alias char-major-241-* /dev/ttySHSF

options hsfserial serialmajor=241

alias char-major-245 hsfosspec

alias char-major-245-* hsfosspec

alias /dev/hsfdiag hsfosspec

alias /dev/hsfdiag* /dev/hsfdiag

alias char-major-246 /dev/hsfdiag

alias char-major-246-* /dev/hsfdiag

options hsfosspec dcpmajor=245 diagmajor=246

install /dev/ttySHSF /sbin/modprobe hsfpcibasic2; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ich; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97via; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ali; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97ati; /sbin/modprobe hsfmc97sis; [ -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/hsfusbcd2.ko ] && /sbin/modprobe hsfusbcd2; /bin/true