Planning for my new computer

Darkelve

oh right. yeah, by decent audio standards onboard audio is pretty much crap, but hooked up to a standard $50 pair of PC speakers you'll never notice the difference, you need some low-end hi-fi speakers or a decent pair of headphones to tell.

Yes, I've got a couple of those :mr-green:

So I was told to make sure that that PSU has 24pin connector

I'm not sure, but I don't think the in-win case's power supply (we're talking about that, right?) has 24 pins.

So I'll just switch it as I had before:

- Coolermaster Wavemaster Alluminium Casing

- Coolermaster PSU ATX, 450W + Power Consumption indicator.

If I have to believe this review, it has 24-pins it seems.

After all, why else would this be needed (from the review):

The supplied 24 pins to 20 pins adapter is needed to fit the unit to older motherboards. Most modern motherboards with the newer chipsets support the ATX 2.0 standard which has 24 pins.

Oh yeah, and for the hard disk:

WD 200 GB SATA 7200rpm WD2000JD instead of Maxtor? This after some recommendations that Seagate and Western Digital are overall better and

less noisy than Maxtor drives. The noisy part I can believe, I've got a 80GB

maxtor drive in my current PC and that's not exactly quiet!

Total: 1082,65€ (all other options stay the same).

Summary:

PC configuration

894,75€

BTW (=VAT): 21

894,75€

- [skt 939] AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 3000+ 64bit Skt 939, Retail

- [PCI-E] Asus Nvidia EN6600GT, 128MB Tv-out, DVI,2*VGA,PCIX

- Coolermaster PSU ATX, 450W + Power Consumption indicator.

- WD 200 GB SATA 7200rpm WD2000JD

- Pioneer DVD Bur DVR-109 OEM 16x+/-,6X+/-Double layer

- Coolermaster Wavemaster Alluminium Casing

- PC assembly

- [skt 939] ASUS A8N-SLI,Nforce4 Ultra SATA,Raid,1394,Glan,2x PCI-X

- [PC3200] DDR400 1024MB Corsair ValueSelect [2x512MB for DUALDDR]

Total (excl. BTW):

894,75 €

BTW :

187,90€

Total recupel:

9,00 €

Total (BTW in):

1091,65 €

It's VAT included B) Maybe I'm repeating myself now, but that is not a bad system for that price. In fact I'd say it's a very good system for the price.

Well it's thee years since I compared WD and Seagate directly, but Seagate was a hell of a lot quieter. I built a new system with a WD drive and it was extremely noisy, lots of weird high pitched noises - I switched all the fans before I realised it was actually the hard disk. Replaced it with a Seagate Barracuda V and it was a huge difference. Seagate and Samsung have a pretty consistent reputation for making the quietest hard drives. Most of my machines now have Seagate 7200.7 drives.

Can anyone elaborate on the difference between a power supply with 24 pins and one with 20 pins??

I've heard you've got 20-to24-pins cables, but a lot of people

where having problems with those.

What does it do and why do I/don't I need it?

If I take the in-win case, probably with 20 pins,

could this backfire on me later if I want to upgrade?

And if I take the Coolermaster power supply

(I'm pretty sure it has 24 pins) and a new case,

is that over-powered or does it offer specific advantages?

What's the difference between 430Watt (In-Win)

and 450 Watt (Coolermaster) anyway?

24-pin power cables were recently introduced IIRC to allow the provision of extra power on certain rails for the CPU (recent Intel CPUs being absurdly power hungry). Obviously, a 20-24 pin adapter could give you trouble if you try and use it with a CPU that actually _needs_ this extra power.

24-pin power cables were recently introduced IIRC to allow the provision of extra power on certain rails for the CPU (recent Intel CPUs being absurdly power hungry). Obviously, a 20-24 pin adapter could give you trouble if you try and use it with a CPU that actually _needs_ this extra power.

I also asked on another forum, the general consensus is, it's really not that big of a deal.

As you can see, I choose a " AMD Athlon 64 3000+ , Socket 939" processor. Are Athlon processors (like this one) less power-hungry?

Guest babadockia

i use an msi neo4 k8n plat+winnie 64@3000(nforce 4 chipset)and gigabyte 6600gt 128mband 1gb ram+winxpsp1,planning to switch to linux(but i'm so scared)due to some problems in playing back avi files.the problem is that the nforce4 chipset is not on the list of the compatible hardware of the mandrake distro.in my opinion the prices for the dual core won't drop that dramatically in the near future,plus they are quite power hungry and amd is developping the dual core platform on the 939 socket

if you want to use nforce4 based mobo you need a psu which can give you at least 20A on the 12v rail(20 or 24 pins,doesn't really matter but get 24 pins to be sure,i use a 24 pin).good luck!

Edited by babadockia

i use an msi neo4 k8n plat+winnie 64@3000(nforce 4 chipset)and gigabyte 6600gt 128mband 1gb ram+winxpsp1,planning to switch to linux(but i'm so scared)due to some problems in playing back avi files.the problem is that the nforce4 chipset is not on the list of the compatible hardware of the mandrake distro.

You could test with a LiveCD first, like Knoppix or MandrakeMove or Mepis.

• 1 month later...

Maybe not 100% relevant, but here's something I usually do when selecting components (CPU, memory, HDD, etc.)

If you plot price vs. performance (MHz, MB, GB), you normally get a graph which is fairly straight up to a critical "knee" point, where the price suddenly climbs much faster. I usually buy the spec that is on the knee.

That way, I know I'm not paying the "early adopter overhead" for bleeding-edge kit.