Mandriva LE 2005 Software and its DVD

lawsonrc

I just installed from the DVD version, downloaded as a Silver Member of the Mandriva Club.

1. I noticed that the DVD version doesn't include the proprietary drivers, which are in CD's 5 and 6. Am I correct on this (I couldn't find them)?

3. I noticed that on the rpm for Realplayer that it is Realplayer 8! Or have I misread the rpm and the 8 is for something else. Why isn't it Realplayer 10 by now, which has been in Linux for at least 6 months (or more) now???

Just curious. :unsure:

Richard L.

Did you get the full Club DVD (4+GB) or the image with 'download' in the name (2.1GB)? There's two DVD images available, one is the full deal with commercial drivers etc (available to silver and above members only), the other is just the three Download CDs rolled into one image.

Not sure about RealPlayer, but I do know the RPMs from http://player.helixcommunity.org/ work fine, and that's what I use :)

Well, adamw, it looks like I downloaded the 2.1 GB. I looked at the download list again and couldn't find the full club DVD download. I AM a Silver Club member and would like to get it.

BTW, in getting it, would I burn it on two DVD's because of its size, or do I need a dual-layer DVD disc and burner?

Thanks again,

Richard L.

I don't know about the dual layer thing, but inless you have an incredibly fast internet connection, it's really not worth the trouble to get commercial drivers and software. The versions in the PowerPacs and club ISO's tend to be slightly outdated, like realplayer8 and the nvidia drivers are almost always several version behind.

These things are all freely available in UP TO DATE rpms from the companies that make them (with a few exceptions you probably don't use). The only reasons that Mandriva doesn't put these freely available and freely distributable things in all ISO, are:

1. The desire to only include open source software. Call me a cynic, but I don't really buy this one.

2. If they included them in the downoalds, there would be no reason for anyone with an internet connection to ever buy a retail version. I think this is the biggest reason. Not that this is a bad thing, Mandriva is a bussiness after all. I'm all in favor of Capitalism.

Anyway, why bother with the second downlaod? Just set up urpmi sources for the contrib stuff and install nvidia driver, flash and RealPlayer yourself.

The Club DVD is exactly the right size to fill a 'standard' single-side single-layer DVD (around 4.3GB). It's called:

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-DVD.i586.torrent

The smaller, free-stuff-only download DVD is called:

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-DVD.i586.torrent

Thanks to all who have responded with good thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks to adamw for clarifying the differrence between Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-DVD.i586.torrent and Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-DVD.i586.torrent.

By their names, it's not possible to tell which is the full, commercial edition and which is not.

Thanks again,

Richard L.