Ballmer Says Longhorn Will Support Linux

Gowator

Yeah, it's all about control. It's a bit patronising as well - like, "yeah, shame, you're using Linux, so I guess we'll have to make our Operating System capable of working with it to accomodate you until you can move over to the superior Longhorn server."

I thought this was quite positive, with the obvious exception of the

Much as that hurts my eyes
comment which seemed like something my 7 year old would say when told to do something he didn't want to.

I also liked the articles introduction about the scope being

up to and including Linux systems
(my emphasis).

I read it as a MS control thing but also an admission that people are going to be using other software and that if they do not provide this functionality they (MS) risk losing out completely.

Leo

I'm in two minds about this. It could go either way.

The good way: Linux is being taken seriously by M$, which means that lots of people may give it a look-in where it wasn't available before. This may give it traction in a business marketplace.

The bad way: support is flaky and problems are blamed on Linux. Also, people considering moving away from M$ to Linux may just take this support as an excuse not to bother migrating.