NIS Centralized Login

drjonesac2

Hello all,

I am tyring to find a solution for centralized login. I run the network for a small company with about 5 linux thin clients and 4 windows stations. Currently I am using LTSP as a centralized login architectrure but we are having trouble with this solution (Slow response from clients, freezing issues and no support for windows workstations). I would like to replace the current thin clients with full fledged Mandriva 2005 systems and have a central login for the Windows clients as well. I have been looking at NIS as a solution but I am having trouble finding a good tutorial on the subject. As far as the Windows side I have been looking in to a Samba solution for this.

My question is this. Is this a good plan and can anyone point out any tutorials on the subject?

Thanks!

Heya,

this is not really an answer to your question ... just to be sure you considered it. I have no netwerk-experience myself ... it's just another option maybe.

I suppose dinwos doesn't support NIS? You can also authenticate the linux-clients using samba I believe (the windows-network login-stuff I believe). There are threads about this on this forum board. I just searched a little and maybe this thread can help for the samba-stuff if interested:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...&hl=samba+logon

Michel

well, you can try samba as primary domain controller so it will auth all windows user and have their home and profile resides in your linux box..

"I would like to replace the current thin clients with full fledged Mandriva 2005"

did you mean, you will be using full pledge desktop pc running Mandriva 2005? thin clients are supposed to have no harddisk, so I assume that you will replace the server OS with mandriva then still using LTSP ( just to avoid confusion)