Mandriva Limited edition

papaschtroumpf

I'm running 10.0 powerpack.

There are a few things I'm unhappy about in it, mostly the inability to use KDE remote desktop, so I have been thinking of upgrading to Mandriva 10.2

Is Mandriva 10.2 the "equivalent" of "10.2 CE"?

I've never used the CE editions but always waited for the "official edition" to be released. Is there going to be such a thing for Mandriva?

I read somewhere that the next time Mandriva releases something will be in the fall, so I'm guessing it's going to be "Mandriva 11" (or whatever) rather than the official edition of Mandriva LE 2005?

I wasn't able to find a release roadmap on their site.

Edit: is 10.2 stable enough to use everyday or is it just a toy/beta

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Yes and no, it's coming at the same point in the release cycle, BUT, those who use it say it's better than your usual CE, and there will be no OE for this version. This is s a single version release. Just install it if you're so inclined, and wait for updates.

The one in the fall will be mandriva 2006. They are doing away with the old numbering scheme because they've switched to a more reliable yearly release schedule. IT's still unclear to some whether there will be CE and OE in the future. I've ehard conflicting reports. Perhaps adamw or someone else can lay that out with certainty.

Personally I'd say the best thing to do is just look at it like all our releases before 10.0. It's The Release. :) To answer the specific question, if you're going to use 2005, this is what you get. There will be no future release of it, no OE.

Just to confuse things a lil' bit, we _are_ going to have a CE / OE type split on the mirrors. The release that was made last week is going into /official/2005 . It's frozen, just like previous OE releases and previous stable releases before that; the stuff in that directory won't change. Any updates will be provided in a separate updates directory.

Just like there was for 10.0 and 10.1, there will also be /devel/2005 directory, which is not frozen and can be updated with fixes or updated versions or whatever.

2005 has been a pretty good release so far - the usual things (small problems that affect everyone, big problems that affect only a few people) but not big problems that affect everyone, which is nice :). I'd say it's around the level of 10.1 OE when it came out.

vdub: it's still not decided whether 2006 will have an OE and CE yet, AFAIK.

Well, philosophy is a whole different subject all together, I'm just talking about the release schedule, and as far as th release schedule goes, this is coming out at the point that a CE would come out at. cooker>rc's>ce>oe

obviously, if you have a cycle that goes:

cooker->betas->rcs->ce->oe

and you decide not to do the ce/oe thing anymore, you'd get:

cooker->betas->rcs->final

which is a pretty standard cycle. imho, the ce/oe thing was more confusing than what's happening now :P

obviously, if you have a cycle that goes:

cooker->betas->rcs->ce->oe

and you decide not to do the ce/oe thing anymore, you'd get:

cooker->betas->rcs->final

which is a pretty standard cycle.  imho, the ce/oe thing was more confusing than what's happening now :P

Said it before, and I'll sat it again, the CE/OE split is just plain stupid. Anything that does that much to cause confusion about your product is the wrong thing to be doing.

reading this a question arose -> when do you start working on 2006 release?

Because it seems that you plan to do a year-between release cycle, but 2006 won't have a year in between, actually it's going to be out pretty soon.

So either 2006 has been in development for some 4 months or so, or it will get/is getting suspiciously small development time, especially if we take in mind the big changes Mandriva wants to introduce.

I have a feeling that 2006 will be pretty buggy.

That's been another big concern, 2005 looks good and 2007 holds a lot of hope, but I just can't see 2006 being very good with the drastic changes thst are supposed to be coming and still only 6 months. I hope I'm wrong, but I think I'll be on 2k5 until 2k7 comes out, or until I get bored, whichever comes first.

Edited by VeeDubb

did you mean 2k6 or 2k7? :-P

I think they should be pretty well prepared for 2k6, and even more so for 2k7. They're changing a lot of things, and people need to understand that even changes for the better can appear to be bad in the short run.

I completely agree. I meant I'd be on 2k5 until 2k7 comes out, edited now. I think mandriva is heading the right way, and merging with conectiva looks like it may well be a big improvement in the long run, even if the short term results, like the name and the feared quality of the first merged release (2006) are both really bad.

i have to admit that discussing mandriva 2k6 makes me feel like used to feel when win2k first came out. what's the abbrev. for mandriva going to be? mdk was obvious, but is it going to be mda or mdv or mdr? this is probably common knowledge, i've just not been on the board enough lately to see.