Need some Help (Ubuntu)

Hello all!

Well ubuntu. Hmm the name is cool. This distro is by far one of the best distros that i have used in my time. But I need some help.

First of all, my internet connection is extremely slow after I updated to Hoary. I don't know what the cause is I keep on calling ( sprint ) which are the people that provide my internet. They say that everything shows fine on their computer, but I'm constantly getting huge amounts of lags, slow page browsing and take notice that I'm paying for a 1.7mb line. Or 1700K. But I think I might get that problem solved today after my gruesome e-mail to sprint.

On the other note I need some good tut for cpu throttle. I think I saw some here on the board, but I can't find them. Ubuntu doesn't seem to have a wiki on how to do it. ( or I just can't find it ) So I was wondering of some of you can give me some steps or point to the right direction of getting this done. My laptop has always had this serious heat issue ( ac_dispatcher you being the main witness )

I just need to get that working that's all, everything is runnin very well. My ipod is finally working under Linux which is a wonderfull thing. And I love it.

thanks for the help.

-Luis

Edited by Jet2k5

CPU throttle:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=17648&hl=speed

First ask yourself why do you need it? If your not saying because if your not saying to conserve battery power when traveling its probably a waste. It set it up once - look good - then never used it again.

I think there is a cpu applet for the Gnome bar too.

DSL Speed:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=11675&hl=speed

Aslo try and disable ipv6

Edit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases and change alias net-pf-10 ipv6 to alias net-pf-10 off.

in firefox address> about:config

find networking_disable_ipv6 change false to true.

Also try an alternate DNS server:

http://www.opennic.unrated.net/public_servers.html

I installed Windows again, and that's it. It did actually fix the speed problems.

I guess I'm still not good enough to run a full system with just LInux installed, there are some tasks that I can't do on linux, and must do on a windows. I might do some dual-booting for a while, I don't know right now.

But as it looks right now I don't think I'm going back to Linux for a while. I don't know I'm starting to get very skeptical about all these things. I know I said I was going to quit, but I'm really not quiting. Just taking a break from it. I'm most likely going to install ubuntu again when I build a desktop PC.

for now I'll bookmark this page so that I can use it when I come back.

Try reading this Switch with success guide :D

(written by aRTee one of our members)

Get prepared and get the spare time before you start and ....

you should be fine.

When its a live system you need everyday you really need to be quick on the learning process unless you dual boot!

:thumbs: Thanks gawator.

Right now I think I'm going to dual-boot. But the Linux system is going to pretty much be the primary. Everything on Linux runs great, just that it's lacking some tools for wireless and all that crap. And please tell me if I'm wrong because I think I am.

The whole ordeal with me installing XP was that I didn't know how to search for networks with Linux. I thought that the wireless app in ubuntu would tell me but I was not finding anything. I knew ( after I installed XP ) that Linux had some command to check that for me, which I felt stupid. I pretty much punched a locker at school just for that.

Linux is the PIMP of OS's, I'm just going to have the XP system just to be there. And maybe something that I can't figure out how to do on Linux I will just switch to this OS and it will be done.

I was running a great system. On Windows it takes up to one minute to transfer songs from my computer to my iPod. In Linux it took less than 5 seconds. Also gtkpod ( the equivalent of iTunes ) let's me play songs that are on my iPod, which windows does not. So in this case gtkpod has a crapload of advantages over iTunes.

Tomorrow I'm going to install Linux again, dual-booting for a while. I have a 40 GB hard drive so I'm going to make windows about 15 and the rest for Linux. After that I shouldn't have to re-install for a really really really really really really long time.

WEll I can't wait until tomorrow, have to call LinkSys and get my router stuff picked out. The router is dying on me every once in a while, so they said that they will replace the router :) which is awesome. On the other hand I'm on my way to having a great system.

-Luis

Ok here is the first help for this transforming ( me turns up his new home system )

Anyhow I got the passphrase thing from my router makes Linksys. It set up a WEP key. I got the number down, and I went to install it hoary on it, I put the WEP key in, and it said something about my system not being configured with DHCP or what ever it's called.

I never had this problem before, as I look at my router settings it says that it's PPPoE. Which according to some people completely fine, and like I said it's worked fine in the past. Any Ideas?

BTW I read the configuration screen and it said if it was created by a passphrase to use 's:nnnnnnnn' n being the WEP key.

Anyideas? I think I'm going to try without the 's:'

Thanks

Well I got the WEP problem fixed. And went ahead with the install.

...... But something went wrong and yeah screwed up :(

So now I guess I'm going to have to re-install ubuntu, since it would not run due to a bunch of error. Lot's of them, mostly errors on the root partition. Thank god it didn't do anything to my windows partition or that would of straight up sucked.

-Luis

Hello,

Well I got my system running great and everythin is working fine EXCEPT my DSL speed :(

I did all the steps that you did ac_dispatcher, but I still notice a major lag, when I first try to log on. I log on to my computer, open up gaim, and it takes ages for it to connect. And to connect to irc.freenode.net on xchat just takes days.

I serioulsy don't know what the problem could be. Is it something in the hosts? what is it?!? It was working fine, until I reboot the computer or something of that sort and then it goes back to really really slow stuff. Not the phone line because when I'm hard wired to it, it goes by pretty damn fast, just as if I were connected to the dsl straight on.

I'm open to any more suggestions?

I'm in a desperate state to get this fixed! :help:

-Luis

I tried the newest version of knoppix and it wouldn't detect my internet :X.

I'm going to re-try everything again and see what kind of success I have with it.

hehe I don't know

I'm not in the mood to try another distro. But this is so weird that something like this will just happened

sucks bad, makes my linux days thinner and thinner