Munich picks its Linux distro

spinynorman

Nice. I think Debian was a good choice - It's an established OS that has been around for a long time. It balances ease of use and speed of maintenance with stability, power and reliability. Very good.

I'm also glad they didn't get all patriotic and decide on SuSe...

Maybe Ubuntu will be the next logical step :P

Guest Adriano1

Not exactly. An established OS is one that has a good rep, too. An OS that's been around for a long time is merely old (unless proof to the contrary).

E.g. SCO: SCO has been around for a long time. This doesn't make it an "established firm".

What's wrong with :suse::geek:

Lets see, where to start... Yast (good place to begin) sucks, their kernels generally blow, they... hold on, I can't think of anything that doesn't suck about SuSe, except for the bundled software - and they didn't develope it :cheesy:

Not exactly. An established OS is one that has a good rep, too. An OS that's been around for a long time is merely old (unless proof to the contrary).

E.g. SCO: SCO has been around for a long time. This doesn't make it an "established firm".

Thanks Adriano - tymark has been on my case lately. I appreciate you standing up for me :cheeky:

:banana::banana:

There was a discussion about this somewhere (either slashdot or Linux Today). There is a theory that Munich wants to keep everything in-house. If you look at the companies that is doing the migration, they are all German company, one is even located in Munich. Now that Novell owns Suse, I guess Munich is afraid of going to the US when needing support. Debian is the most nation-agnostic of all the Linux distro I think.